Travis Best getting greedy?

This just came to me reading the conflicting reports.  First, if Best takes
the minimum deal, he's admitting his days as a prime player are
over.  He'll never again (barring an outstanding season capped with an NBA
title) get the huge money paid to people as diverse as Walker and Baker.  I
think he was ready to sign, and metaphorically poked at the Pacers to learn
if they would sweeten the pot, no doubt realizing that Isaiah's days there
were numbered.  Either they make a better offer, or Boston panics and ups
the pot, as they did for Waltah.

If that's the case--and it's not backed up by anything more than beagle
thoughts--then it's a fool's errand.  Waltah, for all his limitations as a
player, has an established following in Boston, and people like Tom
Heinsohn actively campaigning for him.   Best is coming from a team that
did it's best to insult the C's in last season's playoffs.  Ainge would
LIKE TO have best, but doesn't necessarily HAVE TO have him.  The teams
have been using the luxury tax as a cover for "We'd like to make more
money."  Now that the tax is no longer looming quite so large, the game
begins anon.

Travis should sign, and take a far less risky gamble that when Baker's
contract someday comes off the books, he can get a little more--assuming,
of course, he's still in Boston by then.  I'm frankly not a fan of Best,
but I like this idea a LOT better than the notion of Spreewell coming
anywhere near the Celtics.

Besides, with the shoring up of the PG spot and the installation of a
running game, all the C's need is to fill up the Center to become title
contenders in the eyes of many fans.  That's the only reason I was in favor
of going after Mourning.  If he's at all healthy, he can do the job.  If
not, it's not as if there's a lot of other centers out there right now.

Best should take the vet's minimum and say thanks.  If he plays his cards
right--and plays well on the court, he'll get it back on the next
contract.  Otherwise, he might be left sitting at home when the season starts.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle