Re: Herald on Best

At 11:22 PM 7/22/2003 -0700, Peter Delevett wrote:
Clearly I care way too much about this ...

*Snort* you say that like that makes you unique around here, Peter <g>

Hmm, is Best worth paying the tax for? And if so, how
much? Let's say they split the difference and paid him
$1.1 million. Would the Cs only be paying $210K worth
of tax? Plus missing out on $210K worth of
reimbursement from the league for going over the cap?
Or would it be a heavier tax hit?

Heavier tax hit, although not a huge difference in the grand scheme. Part of the reason teams like the veteran minimum in cases like this is that the league picks part of it up. Also, there are different rules in signing a FA for the veteran minimum vs anything more. You can offer minimum contracts even if you're already over the cap. You have to have cap room to sign a FA to anything more.

And if you feel silly for caring too much about this, how do you think it makes me look that I know the answer to things like that. Jerry West/Red Auerbach wannabes are cool, with whole sites dedicated to them. But a Jan Volk wannbe <g>??????!!!!
Kim