Regarding the lukewarm praise of Hunter by Ainge...

First of all, note this mention in the Globe about the
league rules regarding comments made about players not
currently under contract:

"That is the fervent wish of Celtics coach Jim
O'Brien, who, for some, strange, league-imposed
prohibition, is not allowed to speak publicly about
any free agents, even those on his own team."

Now remember the lukewarm praise by Danny Ainge during
the Knicks game when asked about Brandon Hunter.  It
could be that Ainge is restricted about what he can
say in regards to Hunter and that is why his comments
were so "lukewarm".

As to his place on the roster come fall, it hinges, in
my opinion, on two things:  Number one, can he keep it
up?  He must play as well or better than he has to get
a contract for the fall.  Any dropoff in play only
gives the C's ammo to request that he play a year
overseas.  Number two (and perhaps more importantly),
the C's must clear a roster spot...be it thru a trade
that nets less players than it returns or from an
outright release (Bruno needs to go).

Per the rumored Batiste deal:  Batiste is a decent
player, Antoine-like in his low post moves....but do
we really need to trade for him?  He is only available
because Memphis has too many bodies....so screw
Memphis and make them release somebody...don't help
them by taking a player they don't have room for AND
giving them money or draft picks.  All and all a
stupid trade (if it were to go down as advertised).

Ryan

P.S.  My brother and I were talking about the C's the
other night, remembering that the anniversary of
Reggie's death was coming up....which prompted my
brother to comment, in regards to Vin Baker, "for once
there's a player we WANT to die...."  He, of course,
was joking.  But I would like to see Vinny with Banks
before completely writing him off...because it seems
Banks is a help to everyone's game....even Kornel
David and Burgess (the obligatory white stiffs on the
C's summer league team).