Re: Outrageous ? ? ?,

Gene,

Hunter isn't in Antoine's class. As good as he's looked so far, let's not
forget that he's going against summer leaguers.

BUT... I do think Hunter deserves to make this team, and will be extremely
frustrated if they won't spring for the meager salary it would take to keep
him. Go ahead and multiply it by four if you want (the fuzzy math of the
luxury tax)... he's worth an extended look. The Malik Rose comparisons are
good ones. Also, look at the ridiculous contract Kenny Thomas just signed
(or is about to sign) with Philly (six years, $50 million). Does anyone who
has seen Hunter think he isn't capable of at least comparable numbers (10
points 8 boards) with enough playing time?

There are a couple of reasons to be encourage about Hunter translating this
summer league play to the regular season-he's not a "featured" scorer in
this summer league offense. They're not running plays for him and posting
him up over and over. They post him up some, but many of his baskets come
simply from understanding how to work the baseline when Banks drives to the
hoop. He is always in position and catches the ball when his defender leaves
to stop Banks. That's the kind of stuff that also will work when the real
games start. Even if he can't post up his opponent, he certainly can find
the open spots along the baseline when a teammate penetrates. Can he defend
bigger players? That's a legitimate question, but I haven't seen him
overpowered on a regular basis. He's strong as an ox. Also, he isn't picking
up a lot of fouls-that's significant. It tells us he's capable of moving his
feet well enough to avoid reaching on defense (like Fortson and Baker).

On the other hand, one of the reasons I still don't trust the Kedrick
performance from last night is the fact that he was the featured performer.
Things were designed to go to him and they kept going to him over and over.
That will never happen in the regular season (even if it should). Obie just
doesn't do that. Everyone has to play off of Antoine and Pierce. So he'll
have Kedrick stationed in the corner waiting for kickouts again, and I'll
choke myself to death with the lamp cord. I'd love to believe the offense
will be more free-flowing, with Banks initiating things and other players
being featured in roles that best suit them, but I know Obie too well at
this point. He'll choke the life out of them. That's what he does.
Eventually, he'll go to Delk and Bremer in the backcourt because they can
hit the kickout shots better than Banks and Kedrick. Walter will take
Hunter's roster spot.

Geez... now I'm depressed. Where's that lamp cord?

Mark