re: let's not schedule the coronation...

At 12:34 PM 7/9/2003 -0400, Mark Piotrowski wrote:
I was actually *shocked* by how well Blount played after coming back from Den and during the playoffs. Not all-star quality or anythign but SOLID backup w/o the ridiculous mistakes that seemed to plague his first 2 years here.

Yeah, me too. Actually to me the biggest difference was that he came back playing like he cared. The year before in Boston, until the playoffs, he looked like he couldn't be bothered to even try to do anything. Which goes along with what he said about his time in exile in Denver teaching him how much it mattered to be playing someplace like Boston, where fans care and the playoffs are an option.

2. Sign either Antonio Daniels or Erick Strickland.

I'd still much rather go after a young, PF-type first (malik allen, donnel harvey), but failing that EStrick would be my first choice. I don't want AD at all...what does he do that Delk can't do better? Except stand 1-2 inches taller.

We **clearly** missed the toughness Strick added the year before. And what on earth happened with him and Zeke so that he couldn't get any PT in Indy?

I'm really looking forward to seeing Hunter play -- I hope that he makes the team... that was the thing with last year I'd much rather have a guy like Hunter (or Songalia) get some run than someone like Long. Long's not the answer; Hunter might not be...but then again he might. At the end of the bench i think you go with potential.

Yes and no on the bench thing. Depends upon the team. With a fairly settled, veteran line up, absolutely. The problem is that we have a lot of other guys who need development (and that includes our co-caps, even if they start at a higher level talentwise) and too many guys needing development at once can be counterproductive to the team and to each others' growth as players. I think they were looking for leadership and veteran savvy with Long, probably in practice as much as games, and I can't argue against our needing it, even if he clearly wasn't the answer.

Kim