re: let's not schedule the coronation...

Shaq, Kobe, Payton and Malone?

I'm not scared.  I'm not sure I would've been scared 5 years ago, and I'm
certainly not scared now.  If Jackson can win his 10th title by getting
these guys to sublimate play together, then he deserves to break
Auerbach's record.  I don't see it happening.  I think it's going to
backfire.

I tend to agree here. I just keep thinking that with so many variables, something has to go wrong. If Shaq was unhappy last year about getting the ball its going to be even less. And I think Kobe is going to try and be the star, which will eventually rub folks the wrong way.

Wasn't Malone the one Kobe waved off during the All-star game that he shouldn't have been starting? Wonder if that'll happen again during a game.

As for the Cs:  I'll miss Waltah, but I'm hardly heartbroken.  He's got a
screw loose if he takes the minimum elsewhere just because he thinks the
Cs have disrespected him.  My offseason to do list:

1.  Re-sign Blount, preferably to a 2 year deal.  He did a very nice job
last season, and if Battie goes down again the Cs will need more than
Perkins and Sundov.

I was torn about Blount vs. McCarty, but with McCarty saying see-ya, Blount is a must. I think too he can be had for reasonable $$ b/c i remember when he came back from Denver him saying something about not realizing the difference between being on a winning (C's) vs. losing (Denver) team. I don't think he'd take more (or less) money to go to a weaker team...and I don't think a better team wants/needs him.

I was actually *shocked* by how well Blount played after coming back from Den and during the playoffs. Not all-star quality or anythign but SOLID backup w/o the ridiculous mistakes that seemed to plague his first 2 years here.

2. Sign either Antonio Daniels or Erick Strickland.

I'd still much rather go after a young, PF-type first (malik allen, donnel harvey), but failing that EStrick would be my first choice. I don't want AD at all...what does he do that Delk can't do better? Except stand 1-2 inches taller.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Hunter play -- I hope that he makes the team... that was the thing with last year I'd much rather have a guy like Hunter (or Songalia) get some run than someone like Long. Long's not the answer; Hunter might not be...but then again he might. At the end of the bench i think you go with potential.

I also think the NBA is crazy to not have a Triple-A-like farm system for situations like this but that's another story.

3.  Start exploring takers for Eric Williams's expiring $5 million
contract (possibly paired with Delk or Bremer).  Especially with Waltah
gone, I'm not married to the idea of losing EWill (my main concern has
been getting minutes for Kedrick).  I'd even consider re-signing him next
season if the dollars work.  But let's see what the market is like.

I think the trick is holding onto Ewill's contract till the deadline then packaging him with Delk/Bremer OR Walker (if Ainge sees that he won't/can't change) for a stud PF to a team either out of contention or worried about the lux. tax or looking to make room (Memphis?)

Imagine if the Clips get "stuck" matching a max deal with Elton Brand this summer (which it looks like the Jazz might force them to do...even if just so they can grab Andre Miller) don't you think they'd be willing to at least listen to a Ewill/Walker for Brand/Keyon Dooling/Marvin Ely/Wang Zhizhi trade? the last 3 are obviously just to make the #s work.

Obviously, we have no idea how Banks will pan out, whether Kedrick can get
his act together, or how this team's chemistry will work.  But on paper,
I'm cautiously optimistic.  In any event, watching this roster beats
watching Sundov, Wolkowhatever, Grant Long, Mark Bryant, Bimbo Coles,
Frank Brickowski, Fred Roberts.....

I agree with you from Sundov to Brickowski, Michael, but Fred Roberts was one of my all-time favorite Celtics...if for no other reason that he looked 1/2 crazy. And of the list, I'd have to argue that he was by far the most talented. He looked and played crazy but I'd gladly take him (c. 1987) on this team. And with fellow BYU alum Ainge manning the ship....who knows. Hell i'd bring him in just to bang in practice and put some fear in some folks.

Where have you gone #31?

(the other) mark