Re: [Celtics' Stuff : "... necessary improvements and adjustments in his body...

I haven't seen an article like the following that used the media to send a
message to a player since the last Sam Smith article I read. Apparently, Ainge
has concluded Malone isn't  coming and he needs to repair any damage that Twan
may have to his ego. I guess we can also conclude that we are also off the
full mid-exception shopping spree. I can't see how we can spend it if we don't
trade Twan. This was a reachout to Twan that says we really didn't look to trade
you and you need to get into shape for next year. Well, the shopping spree
was fun while it lasted...

We could hold out and hope that the Glove doesn't sign with the Lakers making
Karl more available. However, I have read that Karl has four teams he is
interested in, the Laker, Spurs, Mavs and Utah. I guess we are no. 5. If a guy is
willing to just take the veteran's exception, I'm sure he will find a home
with the Spurs or Mavs, who will be ready made with a Kidd and Mourning
signing.....

DJessen33

<< Any discussion of the Antoine Walker trade rumors needs to begin with
 one simple declarative statement: Danny Ainge is not crazy.

 A little goofy, maybe, but not crazy.

 The Celtics director of basketball operations has not yet come close to
 a deal that would include Walker, and it's not like he's anxiously
 working the phones trying to get him shipped out either. Nor have teas
 been on a heavy hunt for the co-captain. It all comes down to a couple
 of sides of the same word: value. Walker doesn't have much of it on the
 open market and Ainge won't consider moving him without getting a bunch
 of it in return.

 The reason Ainge could tell the media he wouldn't be making phone calls
 to try to trade Walker is that he is well aware 'Toine isn't a hot
 commodity in the NBA right now. He's coming off an ugly series against
 Kenyon Martin and the Nets, and I spent a pretty fair amount of time at
 the Chicago pre-draft camp answering general managers' head-shaking
 questions about his lack of conditioning. Now add in the fact Walker
 has two more years left at maximum salary. Not exactly a seller's
 market, eh?

 Ainge certainly wouldn't want to diminish his value even further by
 ``shopping'' him, thus making it appear the Celts are willing to give
 him away to get him gone. And they're not. Not at all.

 In truth, this is a time to hold the line on Walker. The top wish of
 the Celtics is - and has always been - for him to make the necessary
 improvements and adjustments in his body and game (stuff of which
 'Toine is well aware) and realize his full potential here.

 Looking in a different direction, Walker's value in the marketplace
 will only improve. It's fair to assume a person of his competitiveness
 will bounce back better from the New Jersey experience, and there is
 also the fact he has just two years left on his contract and has been
 looking for an extension.

 Ainge has said he's not willing to give him a new deal this summer but
 would consider it next, which means Walker has even more than Celtic
 glory for which to play this season.

 And even if 'Toine has a year beneath his own high expectations, he
 will be more valuable in a trade because teams could take a shot on him
 and then use the salary cap space if things don't work out.

 Clearly - excepting the proverbial offer that can't be refused - this
 is a time to wait and see.

 As for all the Walker rumors that have found their way into print and
 (mainly) online, know that as of the Fourth, nothing has been as
 serious as intimated. From talking with teams on both sides of the
 alleged equations, it hasn't even gotten to the point where the clubs
 try to match up salary numbers.

 It would take a certain type of team and coach to see beyond the issues
 and want Walker enough to put in a serious offer, and Ainge not calling
 won't change that. Remember, Danny never said he wouldn't accept calls. >>