Re: [Celtics' Stuff : "... necessary improvements and adjustments in his body...

< I haven't seen an article like the following that used the media to send
a message to a player since the last Sam Smith article I read. Apparently,
Ainge has concluded Malone isn't coming and he needs to repair any damage
that Twan may have to his ego. > - Jessen

Exactly.  Ainge continues to play the media better than Menuhin plays the
violin.  This article is Danny's payback for allowing Bulpett an
''exclusive''
on the official Malone negotiations which were anticipated by the media
but denied by Ainge prior to his Utah trip. It may well be Bulpett's final
column since moments ago Shira was seen near his cubicle with a
suicide bomb strapped to her bosom.  K  A  B  U  S  H  B  O  O  M!
Bye, bye, Bulpy.  We hardly knew ye.

< I'm telling you, the guys covering the Celtics in Boston are terrible.
Simply terrible. > - Berry

We are seeing the same thing, Mark, but where you ''blame''  the
media, I  blame Ainge. I realize you are a former sports writer
and would appreciate your input on this because the topic
interests me.  I consider this Bulpett column and others like it to
be the result of the limitations implicit in the title '' beat reporter''
vs. columnist or editorial writer.  Bulpett, Murphy, and Springer
are beholden to news originating from local sources (in this case,
Danny). They are obliged to accurately report what they are
officially told (even if it changes from day to day) and able to
substantiate. They are not expected to speculate on rumors or
mouth-off on their own opinions.  And when they are dealing with
double speak on just about every question, it renders their columns
useless... maybe even offensive to sophisticated observers such as
Jessen or yourself.

That said, there were plenty of free-me-from-this-trap, read-between-
my-lines, teaser statements in Bulpett's column. Examples:

< Remember, Danny never said he wouldn't accept calls. >

and

<Ainge certainly wouldn't want to diminish his value even further by
``shopping'' him (Walker), thus making it appear the Celts are willing
to give him away to get him gone.>

What I question is Bulpett's obligation to add the company line -

< And they're not. Not at all. >

This is simply not true, and I suspect he knows that.  Nor is

< The Celtics director of basketball operations has not yet come close
to a deal that would include Walker, and it's not like he's anxiously
working the phones trying to get him shipped out either. >

We all want Ainge to succeed. While I have been bitching about what
I perceive to be his untruths, some have equated his strategy to that
of a world-class chess player. For better or for worse, Ainge has
stepped on lots of toes and already lost credibility among those he
is dependent upon (coaches, players, the media). Maybe the tribe of
the misled were long overdue for a good shakeup, and just maybe it
took someone with Ainge's personality to finally shake things up.
Although he appears to be on the right track concerning our team's
needs and future success , I just hope he doesn't eventually out-fox
himself.

Bottom line:  Believe little of what you read.

Egg

< 1. He said he'd use it if he could get a $10 million player for the
 exception. That's true. But he since has said they're not using it. And,
 more importantly to this discussion, the Boston writers have repeated
it as gospel. This proves-to them, even if WE already believed it to be
so-that Ainge is willing to pay for the right guy.> - Mark

But this is my whole point, Mark.  How is anyone (even his players and
coaches) supposed to know what the truth is when the truth keeps
changing?  What would you expect the writers to do -  say ''Ainge said
this today but I really don't believe it because he said the opposite
last week?''