Re: Walker

In a message dated 7/5/03 11:04:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jahill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Bringing up Pierce as you did to defend the weakness of Walker is what is
> apples and oranges.
>
> There isn't a single player in the NBA without "some" weakness.  Comparing
> the weaknesses of players at two different positions is just silly.
>
> Compare Walker to other PF's like Egg did if you want to defend him.
>
> Compare other SG's to Pierce if you want to put him down. - Jim

Jim,

I was merely responding to <A
HREF="mailto:pdelevett@xxxxxxxxx";>pdelevett@xxxxxxxxx</A>'s comment to Mark.
There would
be no need to confine any discussion by strictly comparing Walker to other
PF's or Pierce to strictly to other SG's. My original post was in direct
response to a message dated 7/3/03 2:51:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pdelevett@xxxxxxxxx who writes:

> You've got to admit you're not quite being objective, especially when >
Pierce turns the ball over more than Walker, takes more shots and plays nearly
as
> many minutes while posting fairly crappy shooting percentages from the
floor
> and arc. I'd never denigrate Pierce's accomplishments or value, and he's >
unquestionably a more  efficient scorer than Antoine, > but why would you
overlook Paul's shortcomings and not his running > partner's?

To which I responded:

"The same question that many of have been asking for some time, Pete. Pierce
gets a total free pass from the Boston media in terms of criticism while
Antoine is often crucified for his shortcomings. I've said this many times in
the
past and it bears repeating: Pierce walks on water while Antoine is the
regarded as the bastard stepchild. A definite double standard exists when it
comes to
the two even though the Antoine bashers will insist that is not so. Yet the
same fans who vilify Antoine as a general rule rarely, if ever, acknowledge
Pierce's shortcomings.  (I'm not directing that last comment specifically to
Mark, either.) Go figure."

I'm not comparing Walker to Pierce; I'm comparing the level and degree of
criticism to Walker's game to the level and degree of criticism (or total lack
thereof) of Pierce's game as <A
HREF="mailto:pdelevett@xxxxxxxxx";>pdelevett@xxxxxxxxx</A> did. I'm not
defending the
weakness of Walker's game, either. That would be silly. His weaknesses are
what
they are and have been well documented/chronicled.

Steve