Tales of a former All-Star

  I'm right with Joe when he says he will root for Baker as long as he is
wearing a Celtics uniform.  I refuse to root against anyone on the team that
I follow with a passion.
  But that doesn't mean I will make excuses for him or stand by while others
do.
  Bakers problem isn't a lack of touches or anything other than the fact
that, for whatever reason, he just can't play.
  The Pistons game is a perfect example.
  The Celtics made it a point to go inside from the very first possession.
They got it into Battie for a shot that missed.  Long got the rebound and we
got it right back into Battie again, he missed again.  But both were good
shots and shots that he has made all season long.  The next possession we
again went into Battie and he hit a jumper.  Pierce then took a shot which
missed and then got fouled on a drive.  Once again we went into Battie and he
missed.
Four out of our first six possessions we went into the center.  Battie had no
problem getting the ball, getting open, or getting his shot off once he had
the ball.
When we weren't going inside to Battie we were setting up Eric Williams on
the block and going into him.

Then in comes Baker with 2:55 left in the first half.
The first play he works a pick and roll with Pierce in which Pierce gets held
by Curry and a foul is called.
Then Kedrick tries to get the ball into Baker resulting in a turnover for
Baker and steal for Williamson.
Next play they get it into Baker and he misses.  Baker gets his own rebound
and is blocked by Wallace.
With 27 seconds left to go Pierce draws the double and kicks it to Baker who
is now being guarded by Hamilton under the basket.  Instead of just taking it
up strong against a much smaller defender, he hesitates, brings the ball down
to his waist, starts to wind up and is blocked by Williamson who had plenty
of time to come over for the help.
1st play of the second half Bremer tries to go into Baker who can't seem to
establish position against some guy named Okur.  After wasting a few seconds
Bremer passes it to Williams who forces it into Baker which results in a
turnover against Williams and a steal for Okur.
Bremer then runs a pick and roll with Baker who ends up wide open 10 ft from
the basket but Bremer elects instead to shoot a three pointer, which he hits.
The next two plays we go inside to Eric.  He gets fouled on the first and
hits a 10ft shot on the second.  Back to Eric inside again...another foul.

Now here's my question.
Why can Battie and Williams set up on the block, get the ball and make a
play, yet Baker can't?
It's the same players making the entry passes.  The only difference is the
guy they are making the passes to.
Trying to blame his teammates or the coach just doesn't wash for me because I
see them trying to get him going and I see HIM failing.

Unfortunately, the Pistons game isn't the exception with Baker....it's the
rule.
He's been making the same mistakes from the very first day he got here.
Putting him on the floor for longer periods of time and trying to force the
ball into him when he clearly isn't capable of holding off his defender or
making a play if he does get the ball unless he's all alone, isn't doing him
any favors.

I'm rooting for Baker, but I root for the team first and foremost.
So, if that means that he should spend all his energy on getting rebounds,
playing defense and getting a block here or there I'm all for it.