The Loss

Obviously, the Celtics can't blame the Antoine Walker
injury for the way they allowed the Bucks offense to
dictate the outcome. Boston did a great job boxing out
against a soft team (4 offensive boards total for
Milwaukee), but there were very few deflections and that
sort of thing.

At .533, Milwaukee actually shot the ball better than the
Wiz did against us in the 45-point blowout. And this
looked all the more impressive because a high number of
shots were actually challenged by Boston, and because
they took and made (.500) a high number of treys. Both
teams hit some amazing shots.

And what a fun NBA game for the average fan. There was
very little sloppy play, with only 21 turnovers combined
in the game (as well as 24 three-point swishes).

Just to stay in that type of game, the Celtics needed
great team and individual efforts (Bremer, Walt and
Pierce). I thought Boston showed poise throughout, and
were able to keep the Bucks from going on prolonged runs
(as every opponent has done against us lately).

The way the Bucks shot lights out, this could have easily
been like the Wiz or Nets blowouts. Seriously, we hung in
there as well as could be expected.

Walt looked like a far more polished and intelligent
version of the "I love Waltah" from the opening month of
the Pitino era, back when he was briefly up around 18
points and 9 boards per game as a starter. If nothing
else, that guy has as much stamina and energy as
Havlicek. He never takes any plays off that I can see.

JR Bremer also hit five clean treys. I love that JR takes
it all in stride, like he's been the 16ppg scorer in the
league for the past ten years or so. He looks like a cool
customer. You still see fantastic composure/poise,
whenever they do a close up of him after a play.

Vin just never really got going, against a team without
much size or toughness in the middle. Jason "Tea or"
Caffey surprised me with his mobility and ball handling.

Turning to the "Kedrick watch", this all kind of reminds
me of the Sundance Kid, in that Kedrick can't shoot
straight unless he is moving.

His catch-and-shoot is the worst on the team. 80% of his
(non-alley-oop) baskets come off the dribble.

I know people want to bash Kedrick to get at Wallace.
Last night he did play poorly, but he was again a human
pogo stick.

He twice stole rebounds by jumping over the guy in
position. He bounced up from behind and picked it clean
above the head of the guy. Once he came out of nowhere to
do that, like spiderman.

Kedrick's slo-mo highlight moment last night was chasing
Ray Allen around a series of picks to swallow up a jump
shot attempt and start the fast break.

That was notable because few NBA jumpshots get blocked.
They might get deflected, but they don't get swallowed up
like that. Ray Allen has a 40+ inch vertical and uses it
on his jumper (which is why its a thing of beauty), but
he hung a split-second too long and that's all Kedrick
needed.

Kedrick is still a project, but at the same time its
pretty obvious why a team would draft him high. The guy
can have a series of statistically bad games like last
night and still take your breath away.

If he can make even 2 out of 10 standstill jumpshots from
now on, that would probably be a shocking improvement.
His mechanics fall apart on standstill 24-foot shots. He
doesn't even look like a competent shooter.

It would not surprise me if Tommy H. was on to something
about Kedrick's range. This year, Kedrick should dribble
in along the baseline and take the hanging 18-footer.

Reggie Lewis used to kill teams with that shot. Get the
defender on his heel and then hang and shoot. I think if
you rolled back the tapes, Kedrick has made 4 out of 5 of
his last moving jumpshot attempts.

Maybe by next season, he'll add that 3-point range. What
Kedrick really needs is 82 games of uninterrupted good
health. To me this is no longer a waiting for Godot
situation.

I think Kedrick is just getting started. I personally
doubt Chris Wallace would toss him into a February trade
package with Shammond, like he did with Joe Forte in the
Kenny Anderson trade.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?