Re: [Celtics' Stuff Just let it go

In message <6.77d213e.2b586d09@aol.com>, Eggcentric@AOL.com said:
> That said, this entire get the fans involved - vote as many times as you
> can for your favorite All-star thang is a bit ridiculous.  Any NBA player on
> the ballot could hire 100 minimum wage televoters for 24 hours per day to
> do nothing but vote, vote, vote for him.
>
> If the All-star game is to have any credibility and not be considered a
> boring joke, there has to be a better way.

No matter what the league, All-Star games are boring jokes anyway.  The NBA's
is a no-defense, no-passing joke.  The NHL's is a no-defense shootout.  Most
of the NFL's Pro Bowl players beg out.  Baseball's was so unimportant it
ended in a tie last year when one team ran out of pitchers.  The only reason
most players want to get chosen is so they can collect their incentive
bonuses and then come up with some phantom injury so the alternates can
collect theirs.

Voting procedures favor big markets and washed-up "stars" over the players
playing the best.  Young players tend to be "disrespected" and miss out.

I just cannot fathom why anyone cares about the NBA, or any other, All-Star
game.
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmasjc@tatanka.stortek.com