Re: Several thoughts on the weekend

  Mark, I wish I could disagree with you, but I can't.  It really is a sad
state of affairs.
It certainly doesn't make me feel any better to admit that I'm not surprised.
I've never been a fan of O'Brien's, and I'm also on the record as to how
poorly I think Wallace and Papile have performed their duties.
I wish things were different and I could be apologizing right now for being
wrong across the board.

>1. I never want to hear O'Brien complain about Pierce and Walker being
>tired again. The Celts trailed the Mavs by 30 starting the fourth quarter
>Friday night, and there were Pierce and Walker, still on the floor. In fact,
>Pierce (or was it Walker-now I can't remember), was on the floor until the
>six-minute mark. Ridiculous. Of course, if asked about it, Obie would just
>>say "I don't give a flying (expletive)."

  Just to clarify, Walker played until Sundov was brought in with 5:30 left
to play.
Pierce did not play at all in the fourth quarter.  Walker sat out the last
three minutes of the 3rd quarter.  They ended up with 33 (Pierce) and 36
(Walker).

>7. It's a shame Pierce and Walker aren't playing for a real basketball
>coach. What they both really need is structure and limits. They get in
>trouble trying to do too much, but, of course, that's because their coach
>>asks them to do everything.

  I have to agree again.
  Everyone wants to blame the players, but O'Brien has turned them into what
they are today, although Antoine didn't need any arm twisting.
  I've brought it up before and was glad to see Bruce Bowen saying it in the
San Antonio papers today, Paul was the consummate team player in college. He
always said that was why he went to Kansas in the first place, in order to
learn to play a structured team game.  Even under Pitino he kept most of that
team concept.  But two years under O'Brien, with his pleading, has totally
ruined that.
I'd love nothing more than to see good, fundamental team ball.  It's become
very clear to me that we will never see that under O'Brien.
The NBA game is changing and in my opinion it is changing for the better.
The strong teams are winning games, not the superstars.  Look at the Lakers.
Look at Orlando.  Look at Philly.  Then look at the Nets, the Kings, the
Mavs.
O'Brien has yet to recognize that.  He has no vision on the offensive end of
the court.
Our "team" has gotten weaker, while others have gotten stronger.
But even knowing that, with defenses now able to key on one or two players
you have to be more willing to use all five guys and not just sit them out on
the perimeter and hope for the best.

As far as trades go, I really don't think Antoine will be traded as long as
O'Brien is the coach.  This may be a little cynical, but I think he owes his
job to Antoine and he knows it.

I guess that leaves either trading Paul, getting rid of O'Brien, or the
status quo.

TAM