Notes of some interest

 From Slamonline's Links page:

DUNK CONTEST NEWS: <A HREF="http://www.tribnet.com/sports/story/2455782p-2503659c.html";>MASE</A>
Not only has Desmond Mason already agreed to participate in the dunk contest,
but he also let a few notes slip regarding the event. According to Mase, the
League is also inviting Jason Richardson, Richard Jefferson and Amare
Stoudemire (who's probably too tall to win, but that's another story). Also,
Mase says he hears they're losing the wheel of death that they used last
year. Hey, they must have read Russ's Hype opener from SLAM 67. Also, the
Warriors players say they're <A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2003/01/13/SP188196.DTL";>going to freeze everyone else out</A> during the
Rookie Game.

**Notice no Kedrick**

REDUNDANT QUOTE OF THE SEASON?
"I don't think he realizes what he's capable of doing. I want him hungry
enough to demand the ball. It's something you've got to want to do. If you
don't want to do that, then maybe I misread his ability or his personality."
-- Larry Brown, on Keith Van Horn.

QUOTES OF THE WEEKEND
"I speak a little Spanish, so I'm able to communicate." -- Marcus Camby, on
communicating with teammate Nene Hilario, who speaks Portuguese and not
Spanish."

I was 19, but when I didn't get drafted by the Knicks, I had to go get a
drink. They still put minibars in 19-year-olds' [hotel] rooms." -- Ron Ron
the Rottweiler.

"I really don't watch teams that are below .500." -- Charles Oakley, on
whether he still watches the Knicks.

NEW YORK KNICKS FAN: "Hey, Damon...you can come here and live in my house."
DAMON STOUDAMIRE: "I'd live in your doghouse to get out of this shit."

"I love this organization. I love my teammates. I love coach Obie; he's
great. And I just want to be a part of our success. If that's wrong, then I'm
wrong for feeling that way. And I don't think that's wrong." -- Vin Baker, in
tears after getting benched by Celts coach Jim O'Brien.

"Personally, I've got a hunger inside of me man that's almost like an
addiction. People have downplayed me so much in my life, all the way back to
high school. I'm going to continue to make all my nonbelievers believers.
That's my motivation as long as I'm playing basketball." -- Jermaine O'Neal.

"Obviously, that didn't work." -- Shaq, on his attempt to call out his
teammates earlier this season.

MAGIC TRICK: <A HREF="http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sptmagic12011203jan12,0,2199579.story?coll=orl-magic";>THE MAN WE ALL KNOW AND LOVE?</A>
The Orlando Magic have reportedly offered two first round draft picks and
Mike Miller to Washington in exchange for Kwame Brown. Wait a minute -- do
they have French dressing in Orlando? This story also notes that the Magic
are afraid to play an entire season with Mike Miller on the trading block,
implying that they don't want Miller to mentally flake out again like last
season. Whatever. But if Miller leaves, what happens to the adidas ad where
TMac runs the give-and-go with released Magic forward Ho Grant and...Miller?
Will the fake Doc Rivers (actually played by Magic assistant Paul Pressey in
the ad) get fired? ..... In other Magic news, it appears that Grant Hill's
bad ankle can be <A HREF="http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstoryA40509A.htm";>affected by airline travel</A>. For now, he's just playing the
home games. What, is he going to turn into John Madden?

GOOD CHARLOTTE: <A HREF="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/50690p-47555c.html";>LUCK OF THE DRAW?</A>
Good article here pointing out that the Raptors and Grizzlies were not only
barred from having the number one pick as expansion teams, they were also not
allowed to use all of their salary cap money. But with the new NBA expansion
team coming in Charlotte, the League has decided not to place any
restrictions on the squad. Hmm...you don't think the NBA really, really wants
to see the team succeed, do you? They should at least handicap the team by
making Isiah Thomas be the GM for the first few years.

MJ: <A HREF="http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick12.html";>AIR TIME</A>
Thought this was a well-done piece by Rick Telander, basically calling out
Michael Jordan for all of his indiscretions (don't have to say alleged
anymore, sadly) and adding that he believes we'll see Jordan again next year.
Thought Telander was right on the money here.

RETURN OF THE PACK: <A HREF="http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/sportsstory/sunhorn12.html";>WACK PACK</A>?
Yes, that is Robert Pack, formerly one of the most explosive point guards in
the League, playing in N'Awlins these days while Baron rests his aching back.
Pack, if you don't remember, was an explosive dunker for about three weeks,
then got injured and never did it any more. Also, how did the Hornets get six
players (P.J. Brown, Elden Campbell, Baron Davis, Jamaal Magloire, Jamal
Mashburn and David Wesley) on the All Star ballot? Did the League really
think there'd be a huge groundswell of sudden support for Elden Campbell to
be an All-Star? And what about Jerome Moiso, who's been playing big minutes
for the Hornets lately?

ODDS AND ENDS
They're calling for GP's <A HREF="http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/134612577_kell10.html";>head in Seattle</A> ..... Good stuff about the trend of <A HREF="http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1042381683299730.xml";>
carrying the ball</A> in the NBA ..... Are the Bucks <A HREF="http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/jan03/110270.asp";>up for sale</A>? And wouldn't it
be cool if Sprewell bought 'em? ..... Yao is a <A HREF="http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1733544";>funny dude</A> ..... Penny is on
the chilling list <A HREF="http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/0112sunsadv0112.html";>for a while</A> ..... Cool story about Chris Andersen on the
Nuggets, who's been <A HREF="http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%7E90%7E1106577%7E,00.html";>working out with his left hand</A> ever since breaking his