"Mr T" vs. Sheed

Mo Cheeks sees tonight's game as a showdown between
Rasheed Wallace's defense and Celts captain Antoine
Walker (the NBA technical fouls leader). How smart and
effectively each can play seems likely to determine the
outcome.

An earlier excerpt (Dec 16) I'm pasting directly below
the Oregonian article hints at what defenders have done
to try to take Rasheed out of his game.

Cheeks comes to Wallace's defense
01/03/03
JASON QUICK

BOSTON -- With the passion of a politician, Trail Blazers
coach Maurice Cheeks is trying to lobby the public's
opinion of Rasheed Wallace.

His initial goal of cooling Wallace's infamous temper has
been achieved. Wallace has four technicals in 30 games --
down from the 10 he had last season after 30 games -- and
he appears to be on the cusp of relinquishing the
technical title he has held for the past three seasons to
Boston's Antoine Walker, who has a league-leading 12.

Now, Cheeks is directing his energy toward Wallace's
game, spending more time in recent weeks pointing out the
defense that Wallace plays.

"Rasheed has been great this season, and not just
offensively," Cheeks said. "That's what most people talk
about with Rasheed, but I don't think people are giving
him credit for his defensive ability. He is pretty good.
I can't put whether he should be on the (all-defensive)
first team or second team, but give me some power
forwards who are better."

When Cheeks didn't receive immediate candidates, he said
his point had been made.

"So then why shouldn't he be considered among the best?"
Cheeks said. "Just look at the guys he has to defend in
our conference, and look what he has done against them."

The statistics support Cheeks' claim.

On Dec. 14, Wallace held Minnesota's Kevin Garnett to 21
points on 9 of 27 shooting -- Garnett's third-worst
shooting night of the season. On Nov. 9, San Antonio's
Tim Duncan had 16 points and a season-low six rebounds,
both well below his averages.

Then there are the Clippers' Elton Brand, who went 3 of 9
and 5 of 13 against Wallace; Utah's Karl Malone, 3 of 9;
and Sacramento's Chris Webber, 8 of 24.

"Rasheed can pretty much hold his own against anybody in
this league," Scottie Pippen said. "He is a very good
defender and I think if he took it upon himself and made
a conscious effort, he could be even better to the point
where he gets recognition for his game as a defender.

"But we all know Rasheed . . . he doesn't want to go to
the extreme to do things like that," Pippen said. "He
doesn't want that kind of recognition."

As is his custom, Wallace declined to acknowledge
questions for this article.

But when the Blazers (18-12) play at Boston (19-12)
tonight, he will be forced to answer the challenge put to
him by Cheeks: guarding the Celtics' Walker, one of the
most versatile power forwards in the league, who is
coming off a 33-point game.

"I think we have a guy who can guard him, I really do,"
Cheeks said. "Rasheed is long enough to challenge his
three (-point shot), and he can move his feet well enough
when Antoine is in front of him. I think it's a great
matchup for him."

Last season, Walker averaged 20.5 points in two games
against the Blazers, but he shot just 36.8 percent (14 of
38).

Pippen said the key tonight will be how smartly Wallace
plays Walker, who likes to drift outside the three-point
line, as well as post up and/or dribble past defenders.
Wallace has struggled recently with ticky-tack fouls that
have forced him to the bench. On Monday in Detroit,
Wallace had two fouls in the first 40 seconds.

"Until Rasheed decides not to get those little reach-in
fouls, he will be in foul trouble," Pippen said. "But
when he starts reaching in, and grabbing at guys driving
to the basket, then we have to worry about him leaving
the game. But again, he needs to recognize that if he
made a conscious effort, he could be better."

Still, many around the league think Wallace already is
good enough. Detroit assistant Tony Brown, who coached
Wallace in Portland, said Wallace was a big reason the
Blazers were one of the NBA's best teams for so long.

"When I was in Portland, we had him matched up against
some of the best power forwards in the league and we
didn't ever double team, we played him straight up,"
Brown said. "He was guarding Garnett, Duncan,
Webber . . . and he held his own, which gave us a lift
because we didn't have guys scrambling all over the floor
trying to help him. So in that respect, I think he is one
of the better defensive players because he doesn't need
any help."

And Wallace seems to pride himself on not needing
defensive help. In Monday's game against Detroit, Wallace
was matched against Corliss Williamson. On one
possession, a Blazer doubled Williamson, who passed to an
open shooter, who scored.

"During a timeout, Rasheed said, 'Hey, don't ever do that
again; I don't need help,' " Cheeks said. "And that is so
valuable to a team just knowing that he is going to be OK
no matter what."

Brown said Wallace has a unique blend of length (6-foot-
11), quickness, and raw athletic ability.

"His mobility is probably the biggest factor, and with
guys like Duncan, Garnett and Webber, they kind of out-
quick, out-jump their guys, but they can't do that with
Rasheed," Brown said. "And they know that."

Now, Cheeks hopes the rest of the league begins to take
notice. Jason Quick: 503-221-4372;
jasonquick@news.oregonian.com

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml
/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/sports/104004334168352.
xml

(...) Nobody questions Wallace's talent. But it appears
the rest of the NBA is starting to question his
toughness. An emerging trend this season has been to
bump, push and knock Wallace when he gets around the
basket, which quickly sends Wallace scurrying to the
perimeter for outside shots.

Wallace has scored a season-low seven points three times
this season -- all against physical defenders: New
Jersey's Kenyon Martin, Houston's Kenny Thomas and the
Clippers' Elton Brand. His eight-point performance Friday
was against another bruiser, Milwaukee's Anthony Mason.

Wallace never has been one to spend the offseason
sculpting his body through weightlifting.

(...) Wallace has shown signs that he can play like a
star -- scoring 34 points against Dallas and 30 against
Sacramento. But he also has shown he can fade into
relative anonymity on any night, as he did last week when
he recorded back-to-back games of seven and eight points.

All the while, he has exhibited what appears to be an
indifference to losing, often joking on the court with
opposing players during runaway defeats and yukking it up
in the locker room after disheartening losses. That
behavior has been coupled with questionable decision-
making off the court (in a police report he admitted to
smoking marijuana during a car ride home from Seattle
after a game), and the presence of a temper that is
improving but still exists.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?