RE: Need Help Seeking Older Player

At 06:59 PM 1/2/03 -0500, Ken Kokubo wrote:
Hmmm, there AREe a number of former 34s that would fit well on the current team, aren't there - starting with X and Oscar.

Kim
Hmmm....you just made me think...I would love to see this team mixed with the post Reggie 90's team....

add Sherm, X, and Oscar to the current mix...hey a healthy Dino would be an upgrade from V or Baker. Throw in Derek Smith...hehe.
Shoot, forgot about Derek Smith, the man the Cs wanted Vitaly to grow up to be.

I assume most people fantasize about their "best of" teams, this would be a great "might not ever win it all, but would be fun to watch" team.
Yeah, they would. In a bunch of ways. You think X wouldn't be able to drive home a few points about sharing with your teammates on offense and shutting down on layups on defense : ) Or Sherm remind them that "plays well with others" and taking the shots you're supposed to be taking are requirements to see the ball on offense when there's a real PG in charge. And that's before you even think of the trash talking in-your-face practices that might be worth paying to watch for pure entertainment. Or the world's ugliest shot contests, although we'd really have to have VP back to make that complete. Think of a slashing and knows enough to move without the ball Oscar giving Walker another target to pass to, too...

Sherm, PP, Oscar, Walker, Battie

bench ???
---
X, D Smith, Dino, Walter, EWill, Delk, we'll bring back Vitaly for this exercise, then hide Shammond and lets say...Eric Montoss or Andrew Declerq on "IR"
Gotta start Dino. He did NOT take well to coming in off the bench. And I'd have X starting ahead of Gamble to put some defensive toughness in there paired with some inside offense and boards. Hmmm, the more I think about this - ya know, they claim to have cloned a baby down in Florida. Wonder if X has some DNA to spare...

People forget that Montross was actually useful if not exactly lottery pick wonderful his first year. Wonder if he might have been a somewhat competent if slow NBA center if say O'B was his coach, given that he wouldn't have been likely to run into the same confidence problems after the injury.

You might be able to say that some of them didn't/don't "get it", or didn't/aren't playing to 100% of their potential, but I think all of the above players "try/tried" to bust ass on floor.
Dino's the only one I'd debate that on. Part of the problem is that we got him when he was somewhat past it. But he also tended to get too quickly too far down on himself and give up if he mad one stupid play and I believe there were some fairly valid questions about his practice and conditioning habits. OTOH, he produced some of the most beautiful come up from behind someone out on the break blocks I've ever seen from a big man and did them consistently enough that it wasn't just chance.

Kim