January, it can be a cold and long month.

	As January's schedule begins tonight, with the game against the once
again menacing Trailblazers, we see a Celtics team in possible, deep
trouble.
	We have lost five of our last eight games, so instead of fighting
Indiana and New Jersey for the top playoff spot, we are now hoping to
avoid a further spill and stay with the second level of playoff teams;
who are also  struggling; N.O., Orlando and Phily, while hoping not to
be passed by surging Washington and an ever improving Chicago and Miami.
	To exacerbate the recent spate of poor play, Tony Battie is being
examined for possible knee surgery, which would keep him out for up to
eight weeks and Paul Pierce, despite disclaimers, is also having what
might be chronic knee problems himself. I can't forget the words of
Jimmy Myers, after, I think the Phoenix game, querying Paul and warning
listeners that Pierce's knee did not seem right.
	Are we now sinking into the  notion that this team has squandered the
opportunities left behind by Pitino? Just what dividends have we reaped
from the three #1 draft picks? Just how was our roster reinforced by
the value of the expiring contract of Kenny Anderson?
	Pitino left us with: Walker, Pierce, Battie, Eric Williams and Walter
McCarty. Just what have Wallace, Pappile, O'Brien done to improve the
squad?
	With Battie's injury, it is imperative that our new owners spend up to
5 million dollars for a 1 million dollar player (thanks to Vin Baker's
contract), who will have to get immediate playing time.

`He's got to be somebody who can play minutes,'' Grousbeck said. ``We
are going deep into the luxury tax. This is a big commitment
financially. We are paying $5 in penalty for every $1 we spend over the
limit. Even for a veteran minimum, that's a lot of money.''

	Jimmy O'Brien has, by force of will, imposed the attention to defense
that his successor, the "Great Pitino," could not. Now, his next
challenge is upon him. Can he take his theory one step further and
create good passing and ball movement without a point guard?

''Whoever has the basketball in their hands, it's just a matter of
recognizing who the open man is and hitting the open man every time,
unless you have a point-blank drive at the basket,'' said O'Brien. ''I
think Antoine does a really, really fine job of picking out the open
man. I don't think the other guys see the obvious. I really believe
those guys are all unselfish. They all put the team before I. The
ability to make the simple, fundamental pass and make sure the pass,
when it is delivered, is on the hands where the guy can do the most
positive thing is what we're looking for.''

	The shooting % is horrible. From superstar to scrub, it's epidemic.
How much defense will be necessary to compensate?  How many rebounds
can a team with a center (Vin Baker) who can't jump and a power forward
  who plays on the perimeter, grab?
	I'm wondering all of these things, as I'm sure you all are also.
	January, it can be a cold and long month.