> From    : owner-celtics@igtc.com
> To      : hironaka@nomade.fr, Celtics@igtc.com
> Cc      :
> Date    : Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:38:30 EST
> Subject : Re: Re:Post West coast trip notes
>
> << We could have had Keon Clark, Jim and Bobby Jackson
etc.
> too under different ownership. We can STILL add those
> type of guys over the coming years. It wasn't about GM
> smarts, it was about the availability of money over
> there.  >> - Joe H.
>
> I'm afraid this series of bizarre trades and signings
is all
> about our GM's  "smarts."
>
> The money was available for us to sign four minimum
players
> who would each count at the most, $637,435 against the
cap.

> It was Wallace, not Gaston, who chose McCarty, Bremer,
> Sundov, and Wolko over Jimmy Jackson, Kendall Gill,
Gary Trent,
> Voshon Lenard, Skinner, Vaughn, Walt Williams, Damon
Jones,
> E. Strickland, Blount, and Grant Long.  All of the
above
> subsequently signed with other teams for the vet.
minimum
> except for Long (who we ironically then had to add as a
13th
> player due to the dismal failure of 11th and 12th
players,
> Sundov and Wolko).
>
> Wallace is dancing on a volcano, Joe, and the time has
come
> to stop blaming Gaston or Pitino or Red or even the Les
Coyotes
> for his abject stupidity.
>
> Eggy

That's fine because I don't dispute your conclusion, but
Egg we are playing around a bit with numbers here.

The only three names I mentioned (Bobby and Jim Jackson
plus Keon Clark) are as you realize on Sacramento's books
for over 8 million dollars this season, while the four
you name in return (Wolko, Sundov, Bremer, Waltah etc)
make around 1/4 of that combined and drew zero interest
from other teams. Not fair, Egg!

If you like, all of this still might well be a matter of
Chris Wallace's "abject stupidity", but budget was a
factor as well.

You can take the one-size-fits-all approach to the NBA
minimum, but the richest of the four contracts Boston
paid this summer (Waltah) was actually 100k less than
what Jim Jackson got, hence around 1/6th of Sacramento's
other critical summer signing (Keon Clark) or "Mini Me"
for that matter.

Jim Jackson was a steal, but there may be other reasons
why he joined the Maloofs.

WHat seems more germane is that Jim Jackson is only a
small part of the Sacramento picture. Petrie did not
build his bench by outsmarting the likes of Wallace on
who to offer $800,000 contracts to.

Sacramento has 8 guys signed at over 4 million each, plus
another 6 million more split between Bobby Jackson and
Funderburke. That's one reason why they win.

And what I'd add to that is that this is not outrageous
money (they have roughly 22 million spread fairly evenly
on their 7  bench guys), yet its still a far different
league from what our Celtics had when Chris Wallace
filled out the last four empty roster spots with two
million to spend.

You should not imply that Chris Wallace had roughly the
same pool of money as everyone else, and somehow chose
Wolko over Keon Clark. This is a GM who felt compelled to
salary dump their summer star Joe Forte just because he
made all of 1 million dollars. He's a guy who reportedly
offered Rodney Rogers only one million dollars.

Most GMs would just let a Forte contract hang around a
little longer. Geoff Petrie has a guy named Brent Price
on his roster making over 4 million dollars.

I think the best thing to do is fire Chris Wallace. The
substitution patterns on Vin and Kedrick, plus Obie
support for the Blount do-over trade, suggest that the
coaching staff is working at odds with the GM.

The new owners should look for a replacement for Wallace.
They should sound a few candidates out ("tweet, tweet").
Firing the GM is only half the trick. Finding someone
clearly better is critical at this stage. Most of the 29
NBA GMs seem equally mediocre in terms of track record.

I'm not defending Chris Wallace. I also found him smug
and simplistic, in the one time I met him. He didn't
sound to me like the type who could easily win over most
B-School types, or Ivy League frat boys in general, like
Wyc and the gang.

But I do think Chris Wallace has as much of a leg to
stand on as most GMs. I can imagine the bullet points on
his c.v. and its really not that bad. We're talking maybe
top five for GM of the year last year, and ECF in his
first full year as GM.

If you want to dwell on negatives, GMs are all a pretty
sorry bunch. I hope we can come up with someone better. I
really think the sky's the limit on this team, once the
owners change their mindset on the luxury tax.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?