Re: Re:Post West coast trip notes

< That's fine because I don't dispute your conclusion, but
Egg we are playing around a bit with numbers here. >

Yes, we are.  And the reason is that while I am making reference
to Wallace screwing up big time on the minimum signings
that he WAS allowed, you are making reference to the broader
picture of what Wallace WAS NOT allowed -  the budget of a
Sacramento to sign a $4.6 million Keon Clark or a $2.7 mill
Bobby Jackson.

Repeat: No one is blaming Wallace for not doing what he
was not allowed to do - only for how he handled what he was
allowed to do.

< The only three names I mentioned (Bobby and Jim Jackson
plus Keon Clark) are as you realize on Sacramento's books
for over 8 million dollars this season, while the four
you name in return (Wolko, Sundov, Bremer, Waltah etc)
make around 1/4 of that combined and drew zero interest
from other teams. Not fair, Egg! > - Joe

It's perfectly fair. You listed Jimmy Jackson as a player who
we could have had under different ownership.  I pointed out
that Wallace could have signed Jimmy (and listed several other
decent FA's as well) for the minimum instead of Sundov,
Wolko, etc.

< If you like, all of this still might well be a matter of
Chris Wallace's "abject stupidity", but budget was a
factor as well. >

Threepeat: Budget was not a factor concerning the four FA's
Wallace was allowed to sign.  His  "abject stupidity " was in
WHO he chose to sign.

< You can take the one-size-fits-all approach to the NBA
minimum, but the richest of the four contracts Boston
paid this summer (Waltah) was actually 100k less than
what Jim Jackson got, hence around 1/6th of Sacramento's
other critical summer signing (Keon Clark) or "Mini Me"
for that matter. > -Joe H.

See above.

< You should not imply that Chris Wallace had roughly the
same pool of money as everyone else, and somehow chose
Wolko over Keon Clark. >
No no no no no = I did not imply that. I talked oranges for
oranges, restricting my remarks to vet. min. contracts vs.
vet. min. contracts.  Aha, Joe H., I hereby accuse you of the
one introducing and implying apples ($5 mill contracts) for
oranges ( minimum contracts).  Your penalty: For a period of
fourteen days, you will wear a Detroit Piston sweatshirt
and cap while viewing all Celt televised games.

< This is a GM who felt compelled to salary dump their summer
star Joe Forte just because he made all of 1 million dollars.
He's a guy who reportedly offered Rodney Rogers only one
million dollars.> - Joe H.

Joe, I bet my husband could still be a summer star capable of
attracting Papile's discriminating eye in the prove-nothing
summer league.  Forte was thrown into the Baker deal to make
the math work,  but also because he is an internationally known
pain in the ass - a mouth with an attitude larger than his talent.
He will be out of the NBA sooner than later.

Yes, the insulting Rogers offer was solely due to Gaston not
wanting to exceed the luxury tax threshold.  But how did Wallace
handle that budgetary challenge ... by clever trades or signings,
no.  By adding Sundov, Wolko, and Baker, yes.  Arggggg.  Bring
me a cookie and a sip of brisk tea.

< I think the best thing to do is fire Chris Wallace. The
substitution patterns on Vin and Kedrick, plus Obie
support for the Blount do-over trade, suggest that the
coaching staff is working at odds with the GM. > - Joe H.

True, but then why not fire O'Brien, too? After all, he hasn't
exactly been an innocent bystander in all of this.  Lots of
blame to go around here.

< I'm not defending Chris Wallace. > - Joe H.

Then I am not exactly sure what you are doing or even
now why I am submitting this.  Holy cow.

< But I do think Chris Wallace has as much of a leg to
stand on as most GMs. I can imagine the bullet points on
his c.v. and its really not that bad. We're talking maybe
top five for GM of the year last year, and ECF in his
first full year as GM. > -Joe H.

I admire your loyalty, Joe. Talk about bleeding green.
Wallace is a perpetual caricature of himself, a mockery
and contradiction of what he pretends to be and what
fans like yourself think/want him to be.  We are all his
victims.

<I hope we can come up with someone better. > - Joe H.

Me too.

< I really think the sky's the limit on this team, once the
owners change their mindset on the luxury tax. > - Joe H.

Miracles are propitious accidents.

Egg