Re: Hello, old friend (and some Celtics thoughts)

< I'm guessing $1.5 - $2MM per year to sign him. > - Jim Hill

Please let us not go crazy over Walter's worth due to his increased
role with this team.  As long as his three falls at strategic times,
he looks great... same with Bremer. When it doesn't fall, he falls ...
to mediocrity.

< The change in Walter, IMO, is him getting married. > -Jim Hill

It feels good, looks good, but just maybe the perceived
improvement in Walter's game is largely due to his increased
minutes and not to his wife.  Walter has advanced to sixth
man out of default, not out of any particular upgrading of his
talent after seven years in the league. Had Wolko been afforded
the same playing time, we might well now be praising him for his
8 rebounds per game, etc.  Oh right, I forgot ... Wolko, like Sundov,
was signed for his big-man 3-point expertise.

Back to Walter - let us not overpay for quantity vs. quality.  Last
season Walter was our eleventh player in minutes (12.8 mpg).
This season he is our seventh player in minutes (23.6). Obie
leans on him at three different positions and he sure has come
in handy on a roster of 12-13 when 4 of our players have barely
played due to their coach's stubborn pride even in games we
were ahead by 20 points with five minutes remaining.

YET WALTER IS NOT HAVING HIS BEST SEASON.  Both his FG% and
3P% are actually DOWN from last season, and other important
facets of his game such as RPG and PPG are also down from last
season if one takes into consideration his increased minutes.
His defense is so hyper and wing-span so Condorish, I really
cannot comment on whether it is improved or not.

Still the popular belief is that Walter is having a hell of a year...
like maybe our 4th most valuable player behind PP, AW, and TB.

Sad but true?  Happy but true?

Egg