Re: Vescey had the truth first

< I guess the BDT is dumber than even I thought possible (I wrote
when this rumor first surfaced that even the BDT wouldn't be
THAT dumb).  I guess they ARE that dumb. Only the BDT can be
talked into treating an asset (an expiring contract, such as
Kenny's or Shammond's) like a liability. Not only does the other
team get something (an expiring contract, a pick) for nothing
(Blount) or a huge liability (Baker), but we pay THEM for taking
the asset off our hands. > - Kestas

Perfect, Kestas. You and Berry continue to beautifully express
just about my every Celt thought.  Did you happen to notice this
Wallace quote in Shira's column of 2/16?

 "Trades are hard to pull off in the league these days. With the
luxury tax and salary cap issues, there's gridlock. " -Wallace

I wonder how long after the Baker swindle Chris came to realize
that salary cap/luxury tax ruled the NBA world.  If only our own
little Adam had bitten into a forbidden fruit instead of making
that sinful trade.

The salary cap this season is $40,271,000. Next season the
combined salaries of AW ($13.5 mill), VB ($13.5 mill), and
PP ($11.3 mill) will total $38,326,000 against a now unknown
cap.  How many teams in the league have the luxury of three
max players utilizing approx. 95% of their allowed budget?
Add KA's expiring contract which could have brought us a
really decent player, and that Baker is now our fourth string
center behind Battie, McCarty, and Long (fifth string if we
trade for Blount who we signed Sundov and Wolko ahead of)
and all I can say is WOW - Eve couldn't have done worse.

Egg

------------------
CELTICS NOTEBOOK
Wallace decides to skip the trip

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 2/16/2003

LOS ANGELES - For the first time since becoming the Celtics
general manager in May 1997, Chris Wallace will not join the
team on its longest road trip of the season, which continued last
night at Staples Center against the Clippers. Since the Celtics'
annual mid-February swing through the Western Conference
always overlaps with the trading deadline, Wallace tries to join
Boston for at least part of the trip each year. He was scheduled
to meet up with the Celtics in LA for the final four games.

But Wallace has been stricken by sickness and injuries. Monday, he
caught a Tony Battie-like flu. Then, he sprained his left ankle and
bruised his right knee in a fall at home. Plus, Wallace is a bit
superstitious. Since the Celtics have won the first two games of
the trip with him at home, he figures he should stay there.

Staying in one place in the days leading up to the trading deadline,
however, does have one benefit. It's easier to conduct trade talk
and field phone calls from around the league, though Wallace
said the Celtics ''do not feel compelled to make a deal.''

''I hate to say nothing will happen, but I wouldn't put it in the
`likely' category that we'll get anything done,'' said Wallace.
''Trades are hard to pull off in the league these days. With the
luxury tax and salary cap issues, there's gridlock. We do not
feel compelled to make a deal. It's not like we're sitting around
here and have got the shakes to do something.

''If a deal is created that could help us the rest of the season and
not sacrifice the future or compromise our financial situation, we
would have to take a look at it. You're never as good as you think
you are and you're never as bad as the critics say. At the end of
the day, it's a talent league and, if we can add talent, it has to
be given serious consideration. Every team has needs. Every team
would like to address them and be stronger for the stretch run.
However, this is a league where it's difficult to make deals.''

Asked if the Celtics' recent success and the their apparent
emerging chemistry would make him reluctant to put together
a deal, Wallace said, ''I think it's encouraging, and you take that
into consideration. No question.''

The general manager quickly added that last season the Celtics
didn't really jell until late March and early April, after making
a deadline deal for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk. So, until the
Feb. 20 trading deadline, Wallace will take calls in between
scouting college games in the Northeast.

Wallace anticipates trade talks to heat up after the weekend.

Injury updates have become obligatory with the Celtics. Paul
Pierce went through yesterday's shootaround with his sprained
right wrist lightly taped, and coach Jim O'Brien said, ''He shot
the ball well.''

Pierce said the wrap reduced the pain, and barely affected his
shooting motion. He wore the wrist wrap during the win over
Portland Thursday night, as well as a sleeve on his strained
right groin, though he prefers to play without tape and wraps.
He played without the wrap last night.

''I don't think it's anything that's going to affect me majorly,''
Pierce said of his ailing wrist. ''My range of motion is not all the
way there. ''

Shammond Williams (mild right ankle sprain) also pronounced
himself ready to go at shootaround with one limitation: no spin
moves. The ankle felt sore, but Williams had no difficulty with
jump shots.

''I think once it gets warmed up, it's better,'' said Shammond
Williams. ''But I can't spin move, though. I tried to spin, but it felt
like I got shot.''

The injury comes at an inopportune time for Williams, who was
finally getting more minutes after being relegated to third-string
point guard. After not playing because of a coach's decision in New
Orleans, Williams got 24 minutes at home against Seattle, 20
minutes at KeyArena in the rematch, and 16 minutes vs. Portland,
including the final eight minutes of the fourth when Boston came
back to win. Williams scored 7 points and grabbed three big
rebounds during the decisive stretch against the Trail Blazers.

''If I miss, I miss, but I feel that if I'm not scoring I can still
contribute to the game,'' said Williams.

O'Brien added: ''I think it started at home against Seattle. The
luxury of having three point guards is that we're going to go
with the guy that's playing the phase of the game that we
need the most.''

And in the frontcourt, Antoine Walker continues to play through
the pain of a mildly sprained right knee. Most of the pain is from
a bone bruise he suffered when the knee twisted, but the bruise
will not heal completely until after the season. Battie, who is
still recovering from an upper respiratory infection and stomach
flu, was not available to play. ''He's had three days that he was
been very, very ill,'' said O'Brien. ''He just needs to build back his
strength.'' Walter McCarty took Battie's place on the starting five.

O'Brien, ejected in the fourth quarter of Thursday's win, believes
it's only a matter of time before assistant Lester Conner receives
head coaching offers. Following the Celtics' win over the Trail
Blazers, when Conner kept players calm as they came from behind,
O'Brien may have kicked off the Conner campaign. ''I thought Lester
did a wonderful job of making calls down the stretch,'' said O'Brien.
''That's why I think he should be a head coach in this league. I think
he's a brilliant, brilliant young man.'' ... Because of the elevated
alert level, the FleetCenter is implementing additional security
procedures, including the use of metal detectors at all entrances.
Because of the new procedures, fans should arrive one hour before
game time, when doors open, to minimize entry delays. All patrons
will be subject to search of their person and possessions.
Briefcases, bags, backpacks, luggage, coolers, parcels, and the
like are prohibited. Women's handbags of normal size will be
permitted after a search. Fans should call 617-523-3030 if
they have any questions.

This story ran on page F4 of the Boston Globe on 2/16/2003.
) Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.