From: Thomas Murphy [mailto:tfmiii@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: February 13, 2003 3:45 PM
To: Celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Re: No more excuses

No, I don't recall Dan doing that, but I do recall Cecil defending Pitino to
the bitter end.

Dan may change his mind or tone but at least he does so in response to new
data - as opposed to you, who sings the same song night or day, rain or
shine - and constantly nag others do so also.

Some might call it consistency but a more accurate term may be Pollyanna-ish
obstinacy - particularly in the way you are always trying to flaunt your
virtue in contrast to Dan. Please, start flogging another horse?

(BTW I don't remember Dan ever saying this crew would win us a
championship - which is in effect all he is saying now - so although his
tone may have changed I don't sense a great sea-change in his over-all
outlook, but then if it is all that important to your mental peace perhaps
he could comment on that better.)

And yes, as was the case with Pitino, Dan is right. This list is ultimately
supposed to be a discussion (not just cheerleading) about the Cs, right?

Sad to say but it seems that team reached its "peak" last year when
Rodgers/Kenny/Vitaly were on board. Being in the playoffs was (and will be)
fun but unfortunately is in no way a true intimation of championships to
come. As DJessen notes (following what other insightful posters such as Mark
and Kestas have stated previously) the blowing of the draft in combination
with two awful trades - for Delk (I disagree with Mark on this one) and for
Baker - have effectively placed any further significant infusion/development
of talent beyond the Pierce/Walker window of opportunity. Neither the Coach
nor the GM are capable of getting us to #17: truly a Brain-Dead-Trust. Sad
but true... so what you gonna do? Face facts or try and poke rhetorical
holes in 3-pt competitions and other contributor's "consistency"?

Sorry for the sharp tone, but I've grown tired of the petty and at times
snippy attitude of some of the contributions lately - not that I've done
much to counteract that - and although this post will in the short run
probably only provoke more backbiting I think the key is to focus on
discussing our opinions concerning what is happening with the Cs not on
which contributor to the list is right or wrong or a true fan or a coyote.

And as to the charge that "I'm just perpetuating the griping that I'm
complaining about" - well, to change the tone you got to start somewhere,
and to gripe about your constant use of reductive, personalized attacks
seemed to be about the best place.

Sorry for any hard feelings.

-TomM

Oh, and while I'm at it I might as well say: "repeated use of stupid and
tasteless tag-lines delenda est"