Re: Did anyone hear Leo Papile on the radio last night?

--- You wrote:
Apparently, he filled in for Chris Wallace on Wallace's show last night.
Wallace seems to be in hiding, hoping to weather the storm.

Anyway, this post from the ESPN message boards recounts Papile's appearance.
As I've said before, it's obvious the BDT thinks we're all idiots. Sure,
they're in great shape with the salary cap...

+++ It's typical of stupid people to think that everybody else is stupid and
they are smarter than anybody else. It fits Wallace and Papile to a T.

-He said that Baker's contract doesn't make them financially strapped for
the future, and he is sick of the media that doesn't report the facts.

+++ And what facts would those be?

He said "nobody of importance" isn't signed for next year. (I guess that
means they don't see Bremer, McCarty or Shamrock being important).

+++ Phew! It's good to know that Vinnie is on for next year! Who cares about
the starting PG or the jack-of-all-trades that Waltuh has become?

-He said that "if Chris Wallace were fired today, he'd have a GM job in the
NBA tomorrow."

+++ Yeah, if GM stands for "gym manager". You know, he'd be in charge of
turning the lights on, making sure that basketballs are properly inflated, the
floor is clean, that sort of stuff.

-He said "he scouted JJ for a long time and was thrilled to get him, and
didn't want ot trade him personally, but as a group, they felt that they
wanted to win sooner rather than later since the team hadn't been to the
playoffs in years. And now when he watches him on the dish at home, he still
wishes he was here."

+++ Ah, another developmental case. Except, in this case, he doesn't need to
develop his game, he needs to develop a desire to play and compete.

-He said that "Not one person made the Baker trade, or ANY OTHER trade. They
all sit down as a group and decide what is best for the team as a group."

+++ Papile certainly knows how to shoulder some blame for his boss. He'd be
another "GM" if he weren't the head scout for the Celtics.

-He said that "Kedrick has just had too many nagging injuries that has kept
him from developing into the player that they believe he will become."

+++ And what will that be? A poor man's Stacy Augmon? Except Augmon once
averaged 15 points in the NBA. How soon do you think KB will be averaging
double figures? Five years? Ten?

-He didn't comment on the Forte pick.

+++ That one wasn't a group decision, it was all Red.

-He said that people are making Baker's numbers too big of an issue and
should ignore the money factor. One caller pointed out how, if you project
his stats based on per 48 min, they are something like 14 pts and 10 rebs.
And he said that Baker just sin;t getting as many minutes. When asked why
O'Brien doesn't play him more, he danced around it and never really answered
it.

+++ Vinnie's still a developing player. You just wait, in five or ten years
he'll be averaging 5 rebounds and 6 points! For his YMCA team.

-He did say that: "this is so overblown because let's say Vinny was putting
up 20/10 every night, and had a career ending injury with a broken leg.
Would we just shut down shop then? No, we're still going to keep on playing"
Say what?

+++ Now, that's a killer argument. I'm speechless.

-He also said about 100 times that "the trade can;t be all that bad if we
are still on the same pace as last year, and are still winning, so why do
people care so much?"

+++ I just wrote this morning that this is Wallace's favorite retort, as
incredible as it is as an excuse. It apparently is Papile's, too. The trade
didn't completely throw the team out of whack, so why are you complaining?

This guy completely has no clue. He also said that everytime he attends
games with other scouts from other teams, they all ask if they could trade
places with him in terms of salary cap situation. Ya ok. He also said that
the Pacers are in a worse situation than they are for next year. Stunning.

+++ I bet the other teams' scouts have a good chuckle after egging the BDT on
about what a great job they've done with the Celtics. It's like dealing with
the Nuggets when Dan Issel was running them, or when Wayne Embry was running
the Cavs. You want to maintain and nurture that special (special-needs)
relationship for the times when you have to unload a bad contract on those
hapless idiots, or wriggle out a good player or a high pick out of them. You
don't kill a good thing going by making fun of them to their face.

The BDT must go!

Kestas