Re: Did anyone hear Leo Papile on the radio last night?

From :Kestutis.Kveraga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Kestutis Kveraga)
(Look, first of all, I want to say that y'all are warranted in making fun of Papile for most of these answers. It's a little like throwing chum in the water, but what do you expect when you throw chum in the water? The sharks come. But...)

+++ It's typical of stupid people to think that everybody else is stupid and
they are smarter than anybody else. It fits Wallace and Papile to a T.
Yes, perhaps. Don't take this the wrong way, but you must see how that statement could apply to all of us? We all think ourselves smarter or more knowledgeable than we really are at times. If y'all think Wallace and Papile are total idiots, you must see the irony in your own statement, right?

(Actually, I don't think that statement applies to the more reasonable Baker- (or Wallace-) bashers, but it may apply to the rest... .)

-He said that Baker's contract doesn't make them financially strapped for
the future, and he is sick of the media that doesn't report the facts.

+++ And what facts would those be?
I would also like to know this. From an outsider's view, the team does seem financially strapped, unless the owners will use the exceptions. Even then, clearly Baker's contract impedes many moves because of the cap. I mean, it *is* the NBA cap, so common sense may not apply, but still, if you're going to say "report the facts" then it might help to have some yourself.

-He didn't comment on the Forte pick.

+++ That one wasn't a group decision, it was all Red.
You're so sure of this because you read it on the Internet? I know the reports that said Forte was Red's pick. I know the reports that refuted it. How can you be so sure?

-He did say that: "this is so overblown because let's say Vinny was putting
up 20/10 every night, and had a career ending injury with a broken leg.
Would we just shut down shop then? No, we're still going to keep on playing"
Say what?

+++ Now, that's a killer argument. I'm speechless.
Look, I realize you guys want to make everything possible look like a terrible answer, but if you thought about it, I'm sure you can see Papile is saying "Baker's not producing as we hoped, but the team is doing reasonably well without that. We've got to continue to keep playing." Is it a good argument? No, not really. What it particularly well-stated? Well, again, no, not really. But what do you expect of him? To come out and say Vinnie sucks? He's getting enough of that from the Seattle and Boston papers, not to mention the massive thinktank that is the internet. That's not going to do any good.

-He also said about 100 times that "the trade can;t be all that bad if we
are still on the same pace as last year, and are still winning, so why do
people care so much?"

+++ I just wrote this morning that this is Wallace's favorite retort, as
incredible as it is as an excuse. It apparently is Papile's, too. The trade
didn't completely throw the team out of whack, so why are you complaining?
He's got to try it, because it's basically the only true evidence he has. The record ain't bad. Not great, because of expectations, but not bad. Of course, you're right that it rings hollow, because the people who watch the games realize how much better the team could be. With, say, Rodney Rogers... .

Paul Gaston delenda est.

Bird

P.S. You gotta think Chris Wallace and Leo Papile are gone at the end of the season, anyway, don't you? I mean, the impression I get (and I admit it's only an impression) from the new owners is that they'll want to bring it their own guys. New owners always bring in their own guys, eventually. Not mid-season. And, you know, unless Baker starts playing much better, or Wallace pulls off another season-saving trade (he doesn't get nearly enough credit for the Delk-Rogers trade) I don't see how he's going to have enough evidence to save his job... .