Re: Mark Berry is on the money!

From : " Michael A. DiZio" <" mdizio"@rcn.com>

bird wrote:

> Again, anyone with a more reasonable opinion on Baker is an
> "apologist". Nice. By the way, what shall "we" prepare ourselves for,
> exactly?

Baker has been awful and his salary croaks the team. An apologist is
anyone who denies that reality.
Baker has been bad. (Well, sometimes he's been decent. "Decent", I say.) Plus, when you factor in his salary, he's simply not living up to expectations, which, like it or not (and I don't happen to), are based greatly on salaries. His salary probably does hamper the team in gaining free agents, unless, as Joe suggested, the new owners will flirt with more tax by spending the exceptions. At least from what I can see. Then again, he'll be here for a while, perhaps he'll improve. This seems very unlikely at this point, and then the question always will be still, how much can he improve?

One thing I will say is that I should have used "less extreme", perhaps, rather than "more reasonable" is characterizing the opinions in questions. But it still seems to me that there's a knee-jerk reaction to anyone who dares analyze the Baker situation in anything other than "he stinks, the team will always stink with him" terms. Plus, everybody wants to kick this guy when he's down. That's pretty mean-spirited. Many of the things the Baker critics have said are true. Some are not.

And an "apologist" is someone who will apologize for Vin Baker up and down, without question. The word you're looking for is "free-thinker", I think.

> And what, exactly, is the nature of this "distillation"? What will it
> do?

The "distillation", is the cogent recitation of the facts of Baker's
impact here. What it does is show his feelings about the situation.
Mark is not visiting that well known river in Egypt.
Wait, oh, right, "Da Nile"! Hee hee, that's pretty clever, d'you make that one up?

I get that people need to vent about Vin Baker. Your first post had an air of impending doom, as if Mark Berry had started a groundswell of popular opinion that would ... I dunno, cause something to happen. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of significance that impending uh ... thing would have.

Or if it's just more bitching and moaning.

> "As long as _____ is here, this team will not _____." God, I'm sick of
> the overuse of this phrase. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!

No, "I was like" is a phrase to be sick of. " Abandon all hope, ye who
enter here" only applies for the next four years til Vin's contract ends
Don't I even get to be sick of what I'd like to be sick of? I was like, "screw you, fella!" Seriously, if you like the mind-numbingly simpleness of such statements, not to mention their frequency, then be my guest. I don't.

> Oh, and I also think that Paul Gaston should be destroyed.

No difference of opinion here. Gaston approved this disaster to save a
million bucks before he bailed.
Indeed. He's a carpetbagger. I doubt Wallace makes this gamble if he can keep Rogers.

Paul Gaston delenda est.

Bird