Re: Mark Berry is on the money!

bird wrote:

  But it still seems to me that there's a knee-jerk
> reaction to anyone who dares analyze the Baker situation in anything
> other than "he stinks, the team will always stink with him" terms.
> Plus, everybody wants to kick this guy when he's down.  That's pretty
> mean-spirited.  Many of the things the Baker critics have said are
> true.  Some are not.

Honestly, where is the "knee jerk" ?  This isn't a snap reaction. This
is a half season long considered, analyzation of his performance over 42
games, and it comes after years of horror stories coming out of Seattle.
Bird, it doesn't look good. I have been to a half a dozen games this
year screaming my head off cheering for him. I don't want to be right
about him, it gives me no pleasure, I've been a Celtic fan since I was
five. All I want is the promise of last year improved upon, not thrown
away. If Baker made Walter's salary, nobody would give a damn about his
performance. But we don't have Mark Cuban or Paul Allen owning the team
and salary slots are crucial to improvment. Vin compares to the money
losing state supported factories in the Soviet Union that eventually
brought the whole thing crashing down. I want Vinnie to succeed!!!!!
It's not going to happen though.

> And an "apologist" is someone who will apologize for Vin Baker up and
> down, without question.  The word you're looking for is "free-thinker",
> I think.

fair enough!

> > Mark is not visiting that well known river in Egypt.
>
> Wait, oh, right, "Da Nile"!  Hee hee, that's pretty clever, d'you make
> that one up?

  Okay, so I reached into the cliche bag.

> I get that people need to vent about Vin Baker.  Your first post had an
> air of impending doom, as if Mark Berry had started a groundswell of
> popular opinion that would ... I dunno, cause something to happen.  I'm
> just trying to figure out what kind of significance that impending uh
> ... thing would have.

  There is something to what you say here. With three different articles
in the Globe alone about VIN, VIN, VIN, with a big blowout victory
practically ignored, It felt like the  situation was coming to a head.
(retirement-putting him at the end of the bench -trading him, which no
gm would ever go for)

> Don't I even get to be sick of what I'd like to be sick of?

  Yeah, you are entitled, I was attempting to be funny-sarcastic.
However, I respect your
  opinions, and I never said anything  disparaging about the people who
"dared" to disagree         about Vinnie. I just thought that Mark Berry
nailed the situation in his post.

Michael A DiZio