Re: For those who got an oooooohhhh of pleasure watching the Pierce to Ricky alley oop

At 10:47 AM 12/22/2003, Douglas342@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 12/22/2003 12:00:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I wish I
> thought there was a real leader on this team for the times when we need
> one, but I think we're going to see some fun hoops by the
> time we're moving
> toward the playoffs.

-------Good point. I have no idea where those of us who watch TV come off with opinions on this, but somehow Pierce just doesn't seem like a leader-type. And if he isn't, who is? One looks to veterans: that means Baker and Walter? Vin has his own agenda to handle; maybe Walter is the man? If not, then it's someone new to the team who hasn't carved out his role yet. But, being the optimist, this is going to be a good team in a year or so, and fun all the way.

Mmmm. I don't think it's a veteran thing so much as just being a natural leader or not. The phrase veteran leadership has always annoyed me because of the assumption that leaders have to be veterans and being a veteran automatically endows someone with the right and ability to lead. Some guys have it as rookies, even if it doesn't fully blossom for a year or two. And I think those of you who just watch TV and read the articles have as much right to chime in with an opinion as I do going to a bunch of games. It's not like I'm actually in the locker room or at practice watching leadership or lack of it in action <g> I said at the start of the season, when Antoine got traded, that Pierce was not the sort of natural leader that Antoine was. Nothing I've seen or heard him say has changed that perception, which has been backed by a few different articles this season. I don't see anyone right now able to step up and take the role, particularly in terms of standing up to Pierce himself when needed, because of things like a overall passivity, preference for avoiding conflict, etc. in some of the obvious candidates like the veterans you name. From his take charge attitude on the court, who knows, maybe it will be Jiri by the end of the season, maybe even Banks in another year or so when he gets his own role sorted out. My gut feeling is that there is just going to be a vacuum for a while and I hope it doesn't blow up in our face, especially with the inherent extra volatility of adding Ricky to the roster.

Regardless, I'm with you that I think it is going to be a good team in a year or so and increasingly fun to watch. The question is how good and how much fun they gel into. And you know what, I'm tired of the idea that only the most negative are being realists and saying things like that means having to be called an optimist. Seems to me the people who see nothing but doom and gloom and refuse to admit the possibility of anything else are at least as unrealistic as the sort of mildly positive thoughts they put down as silly optimism.

Best
Kim