Re: different look at the trades

Well, tweak it a lil for salary and you have this:

Antoine - Raef

Eric - Ricky

Kedrick - Jiri

Delk - Mihm

Battie - Stewart

Bremer - Jones

Mark Piotrowski wrote:

I know they don't shake out this way but if you take the 3 trades of the Ainge Era apart (and ignore salaries since collectively they match) would you do any single piece in reverse talent wise?

Antoine Walker --> Ricky Davis

Eric Williams --> Jiri Welsch

Tony Delk --> Raef Lafrentz

Tony Battie --> Chris Mihm

J.R. Bremer --> Jumaine Jones

Kedrick Brown --> Michael Stewart

1. Walker (18.2 pts, 10 reb, 4.7 asst, 44.8 fg%, .87 stl, 3.2 to) --> R. Davis (15.3 pts, 5.5 reb, 5.0 asst, 43.1 fg%, 1.1 stl, 3.0 to): I was surprised to see that Davis averages nearly as many points and more assists as Walker. Almost as surprised as I was that he shoots a lower percentage. I see no reason Davis can't account for 90% of Antoine's production over the last 3 years (not his production this year -- when he appears to be playing for a contract (shades of Clemens in his final years with the Red Sox?))

2. Williams (11 ppg, 4.5 reb, 1.2 ast, 1 stl) --> Welsch (6.2 ppg, 2.6 reb, 2.1 asst, 1.1 stl): While Williams' numbers are slightly better you could easily argue that the Team as a whole performs better with Welsch in there providing the glue.

3. Delk (7.5 ppg, 2.7 reb, .9 asst) --> LaFrentz (7.8 ppg, 4.6 reb, 1.4 asst): Even fighting through a knee injury LaFrentz has better numbers than Delk (who's also been knicked up). If you flip-flop Welsch and LaFrentz its an even closer match in both cases.

4. Battie (5.9 ppg, 5.1 reb, .87 blk) --> Mihm (6.9 ppg, 6.4 reb, 1.0 blk): Mihm is performing better even in 4 fewer minutes. Both have battled injuries over the past few years, but Mihm seems to be over them -- whereas Battie, sadly, may never be.

5. Bremer (4.2 ppg, 1.2 reb, 1.2 asst) --> J. Jones (2.5 ppg, 1.5 reb, .6 asst): Bremer is playing 6 more minutes a game, while Jones ahs been struggling with injury. This is the only one I'd have to think about -- however I think Bremer has maxed out as a player talent-wise, while Jones is still getting better.

6. K. Brown (5.3 ppg, 3.2 reb, 1.2 asst) --> Stewart (1.0 ppg, 2.3 reb, 1 blk): Not much to say here other than Kedrick shouldn't have been taking as many minutes from Welsch so losing him frees Welsch up to play more. I wish Kedrick well. Also, did you know that while playing 81 games (21 min/gm) as a rookie, Yogi averaged 2.4 blocks a game!?! Or that at the same height he weighs 50 pounds less than Kendrick?

Age-wise Davis, Welsch, LaFrentz and Mihm are all considerably younger than the players they replaced, while Jones and Bremer are nearly the same age.

Contract-wise Davis' is much better than even the best extension we could have gotten from Walker; we've got Welsch locked up for 3 years on a rookie-scale deal vs. Williams' expiring contract (i prefer the Welsch contract); LaFrentz is much "worse" than Delk's (longer 5 vs 2 years at 2-3 times the money); Mihm's deal runs a year shorter than Battie's; Bremer's a FA this summer, while Jones has 2 years at low money; Stewart makes 3x what Brown does but is a FA next summer -- which means he's likely to be traded again either this summer or next year to a team looking to clear space.

All in all I guess my point is that unlike the (esp. 1st year of) the Baker-Kenny trade or many of the Pitino deals, we're getting better, younger players at equal contracts.

- (the other) mark