the moves we made...

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:08:08 -0700
From: "John Lyell" <jlyell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: EWill to be moved for cash savings?

McGinnis would have been a better solution than James. I think he averaged
13-14 a game for Clip's with a lousy team. The clips signed Officer Olden
Polynice. He would have given us more than Blount can. I would give the
Warriors Blount, Williams or even battie for Foyle. At least he adds
something inside we don't have.

whoa lets hold on a minute John.

McInnis -- first of all he's not a FA as far as I can recall. He's not known as the greatest locker room guy and comes with an ego to (over)match his marginal talents. Yeah he might have avg. 13 a game with the Clips but if Ewill is the worst starting SF, McInnis would be the close equivalent for PG. is James better? Not by much but neither of them should expect more than 6-8 mins a game from here on out, with Banks running the show. I think James is willing to accept that more than McInnis.

Polynice -- Given Blount's play in the playoffs (in fact the entire time since returning from Denver) I don't agree that Polynice (who must be 48 or something by now) gives you more. Blount is hungry, Polynice is playing out the string. Again neither's going to get an all-star or even 6th Man of the Year vote, but I'd much, much rather have Blount on this team.

Foyle -- while I love everything I read about Foyle as a person to trade him for either Ewill or Battie would be insane. Battie is simply a superior player -- and much better suited to our team. No way I'd trade him for Foyle.

As for a Ewill for Foyle trade -- again no dice. In my mind you trade Ewill for only one of 2 (or 2 1/2) reasons:

1) You trade him for someone like Foyle -- with the intention of using their salary slot for Salary Cap savings. It'll be much easier for the fans to swallow not resiging newcomer Foyle than new "old friend" Ewill. That's basically what the Hornets did with Elden Campbell last year.

1a) you trade him for a player like Foyle and a pick or cheap player. If GS want's to increase they're cap room and they want to throw in Troy Murphy to make the numbers work (or 2 2nd rounders to sweeten the pot) well then you listen.

2) You trade EWill's salary to a team looking to clear room for Talent -- The Suns got Bo Outlaw for nothing 2 years back as the Magic were looking to dump salaries. That happened not to work out, but that's the idea.

Memphis, for example, will have Wesley Person, Brevin Knight and (i believe) Big Country Reeves coming off the books next summer -- lets say they want to make a run at Kobe (assuming he's not in jail) or KG or 2 midlevel talents. Well if they're looking to move Stromile Swift or Lorenzen Wright at that point, then you move EWill. And now that Papile is Jerry West's new best friend....

(the other) mark