Re: First move

At 08:00 AM 9/28/02 -0400, Steve and Michelle Ouellette wrote:
>It's too bad the new owners came in too late to spend the extra $4 million or so it would have taken to get Rodney Rogers and Travis Best. That's going to bother me all season. But as a first move, does anyone disagree that they should use a 13th roster spot and bring in a REAL point guard?

Yes, BUT...

>I'd love to see Shammond Williams get a shot at starting because I think he can play and he can really shoot. But it would be nice to have a veteran who can get the ball upcourt against pressure. Aren't Rod Strickland and Greg Anthony still out there?

Wouldn't that be a desperation move that might cause more unnecessary regrets. Are they necessarily going to improve our situation anything like enough to justify the full cost. Cost as in luxury tax and even further tieing our hands from making even a small move later on in the season when people we might like get cut elsewhere and we get injuries, or someone really shines in the ADSL. The point is that Rogers and Best would have cost more than $4 million, just as adding anyone else now will cost more than the veterans minimum, no matter their actual paycheck. I'm not justifying Gaston, just saying it's not that simple. And getting past just the cost - once we bring them in, Strickland's age and declining skills make a breakdown or inability to put in the kind of minutes we need a real issue. While I don't see Anthony as that big a step up from our existing too short to be what they really (SG) playing the point.

No one wants a real PG more than I (and don't forget Bremer when you look at Williams' chances), but because of the way things fell out, I'm not so sure I want us spending the money now on what's available. I want a PG who will matter, not just a desparate attempt to fill the slot with someone, anyone who looks better at least in part because of grass is greener syndrome.

Kim