Re: Where would Kedrick have gone in this draft?

draft?

> I watched him against the Nets this summer, and without
JKidd, Jefferson ripped him
> apart, being high scorer, high, flyer and solid
defender.

Lance, I don't recall the source (can someone help us
out?, but one of the papers or Websites quoted a scout
who said that Kedrick was the only player to stop Richard
Jefferson at Shaw, and that he would have been a lock for
MVP had he not shot 1-8 in the final game.

My own NBA prediction is that 2002-03 is likely to be the
Year of the Sophomores, mainly since so few of last
year's lotto picks did much as rookies.

Its not just top-five picks like Kwame, Tyson Chicken and
Chicken Curry who haven't arrived as NBA players yet.

What irks me on this list are those who conclude we blew
the draft.

Had we traded up, we'd have had our choice of the three
picks clustered just ahead of Joe Johnson and Kedrick
Brown (Eddie Griffin, Sagana Michigan and Rodney White).
Great prospects, but they did no better than our rookies.

As for the pool of players who went 10-17, they were (in
addition to JJ and Kedrick) headcases Radmanovic and
Steven Hunter, plus Troy Murphy, Kirk Haston and Michael
Bradley....and Richard Jefferson.

But before we reach quick decisions about how
Boston "wasted its draft", its worth noting advantages
Richard Jefferson uniquely shared with the only two other
American rookies picked 1-19 who had a modicum of NBA
success last year (Battier and Jason Richardson). Namely,
they had at least several years of Final Four caliber
experience and coaching at major programs.

In other words, it might be fair to attribute some of
their head start in NBA success to preparedness. Unless
you believe that Chris Wallace and 15 other GMs blew it.

As I said earlier in this post, let's wait to see which
players step up as impact sophomores before judging this
draft. Battier and Jefferson have a head start, but I
think you'll see some furious "catching up" this year
too. Remember that all of Boston's picks were young. Joe
Johnson and Forte were young even compared to other
college sophomores. Kedrick was as green as grass.

One more thing, I don't think it will be remembered as a
weak draft.

For one thing, this draft certainly had enough 7-footers
to push Brendan Haywood and Loren Woods way down.

Checking back further on it, I notice that there were 26
players off the 01 board by the time first round talent
in most any other NBA draft began hearing their names
called: you had Tinsley at 27, then Tony Parker, then
Gilbert Arenas and Trenton Hassell, Terence Morris, Loren
Woods, Jeff Trepagnier, Alvin Jones, Ousmane Cisse etc.
And Omar Cook, who took the Big East by storm.

I believe the top half of the draft will stop catching up
real soon. And if Boston could do it all over again, I'm
not sure we would do much different other than NOT dump
Joe Johnson, Joe Forte and Casey Jacobson for Tony Delk
and a million dollars savings off the cap (spent to
resign Waltah, if you want to look at things that way).

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?