Re: Blame Jordan!

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!"

Well, Kim's arithmetic was a bit off... 30 out of 707 is more like 4%. Nonetheless
the point is right - someone who shoots less than one three-pointer a game isn't
exactly "staying behind the line and firing away" as Lance asserted. Even if
Mercer shot at half that rate of that the year before. We're talking pretty tiny
numbers here. If Shaq shot 0 three pointers one year and 2 the next, you could
hardly argue that "Shaq's become a three-point bomber because Kobe's such a
ball-hog!! He shot an infinite times more three-pointers because of Kobe's influence!"
Well, technically you could argue it but let's say you'd convince very few people,
especially if you also insult them (hint hint).

That lockout season with Walker, Pierce, and Mercer really did show bad
chemistry though and Paul was partially to blame. You could see him sulking
after going long stretches without the ball, and then he'd get the balls in his
hands after a rebound and take it sideline to sideline. It looked pretty selfish.
But Mercer was plenty selfish too, playing for his extension. I think it was
obvious even then though that Pierce was a far superior player than Mercer,
which has been borne out since then. I wrote about this a lot back then;
Mercer gets great elevation and form on that 18 ft jumper off the screen,
which basically means that he can get 18 ppg on 45% shooting year after
when used properly. That sounds pretty decent and aesthetically it looks
even better. But... he never goes to the foul line, because when he drives,
he twists away from contact. He can't hit a 3. He doesn't make his
teammates better because he doesn't create his own offense. He's a decent
complementary piece and no more.

Paul on the other hand is a flat out offensive star in the NBA. I didn't watch
the world championships so I can't comment on his play there. In the NBA,
he's mastered an essential trick for a guard to become a scoring monster,
which is drawing a ton of fouls. It's kind of cheesy and non-aesthetic at times
(especially in the hands of the master flopper, Reggie Miller) but when you
flop and hit two free throws, it's the same on the scoreboard as a beautiful
midrange jumper off a screen - and a much higher percentage play.

Anyway, if the point is that the Celtics offense is ugly because it is designed
like "Walker, Pierce, and a bunch of three point shooters," then that's another
discussion. If it's "Pierce could improve his game", ditto. But if it's "Pierce
hurts this team because he's a selfish player and I'm going to prove that by
repeating myself 100 times per day while insulting you", then I, like most
of the rest of the list, am not convinced, and moreover, will soon stop listening
entirely.

Alex