Re: Could an all world team compete?

> Roy Enrile wrote:
>
> >Someone on the list was saying the international
players aren't really
> >catching up because even an "all world" team would
have no chance of
> >staying within 20 pts of the U.S. if they sent their
best players:
> >Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kobe, Kidd.
> >
> >I would disagree and say that a healthy team of
> >Ilgauskas,Divac,Ming
> >Gasol
> >Nowitzki,Kukoc
> >Stojakovic,Kirilenko
> >Nash,Parker
> >
> >could compete with the best from the U.S..   The 5
starters are
> >better than alot of U.S. allstars.  They'd be favored
over the current
> >team USA (clipped).

Roy's got me. That's a good "All World" team with a
realistic chance to compete against Shaq/Kidd/Duncan etc.
It only takes 8 or 9 top guys to compete, and the "World"
does have that talent today.

But what I originally wrote, or THINK I wrote ;-), was
that if you took the All Tourney rest-of-the-world team
and formed a pick-up team, they shouldn't be expected to
play any better than what was a US "pick-up" team in
Indy.

In simple terms, there is mucho difference between the
words "Team" and "All Star Team".

For instance, if an Ivy team like Princeton played
against the winner of the McDonald's H.S. All Star game,
they would probably win easily. But if the McDonald's
kids all attended the same college, by mid-season they
would likely spank Princeton and by March, they'd be a
Final Four type team.

By the same token, if a nowhere-near-NBA-All-Star like,
say, Joe Johnson, Joe Forte or Kedrick Brown had played
in the Argentinian or Yugo national programs for the same
length that the others have all been together, I feel
they would be starting on those teams (possibly
starring). That's how damn deep USA basketball is in
talent, if you ask me. In terms of depth, no single
nation is anywhere close.

So in conclusion, Mr Enrile, I wish you would just try to
work on the quantity and quality of your posts, learn the
gender of the various posters etc. etc. Just kidding. :-)

Joe

BTW, did you guys read that long Yao Ming interview with
David Arledge (sp?)? He sure sounds like a kid with the
right sense of priorities. If he has a healthy NBA
career, he'll do his country proud I'm sure.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?