Re: Could an all world team compete?

Hello everyone, this is my first post since joining the list last week.

In reading some of the posts on this and the thread about last night's loss, I think its clear that the international talent pool is getting not only better but deeper. Its still far off (overall) from that of the US, but I think a world team could certainly be competitive against the NBA's best.
This is due not only to talent, but also to the focus on fundamentals and team play, which I can only dream of seeing again some day in the USA.

Anyway, I think all the panic and hubbub is overblown. It was bound to happen at some point, but I really hope it serves as a wakeup call. If the pros continue to send second tier guys and show little interest in working hard and as a team, I would like to think that sending a college all-star team would be revisited.

Roy Enrile wrote:

Someone on the list was saying the international players aren't really catching up because even an "all world" team would have no chance of
staying within 20 pts of the U.S. if they sent their best players:
Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kobe, Kidd.

I would disagree and say that a healthy team of
Ilgauskas,Divac,Ming
Gasol
Nowitzki,Kukoc
Stojakovic,Kirilenko
Nash,Parker

could compete with the best from the U.S.. The 5 starters are
better than alot of U.S. allstars. They'd be favored over the current
team USA.

Vlade did a better job on Shaq than Mourning or any American center.
And anyway, I believe the U.S. players above, were defeated by Iverson's
mini-mite eastern-allstar squad a couple of years ago, so our 5 megastars
aren't invulnerable.

I think the media is right on, when they say the International
players improving talent pool can eventually get some team a win over
America.