last night's comments

Resending what I posted last night:

I'm not worried that we lost to the Nets again. The Celtics haven't played defense since some time in the 1st preseason game. They can't beat the full-strength Nets without defense. Moreover, Battie and Kedrick are out and Baker is dysfunctional. Thus, we had to settle for the moral victory of coming back from large deficits twice.

The Baker situation worries me not because Vinnie hasn't found his groove - that's to be expected - but because there doesn't seem to be any attempt to integrate him. I understand not revealing plays for him during the preseason (I doubt that there is anything to reveal, though), but having him park at the 3-point line a la Blount, or flail around down low without receiving any attention from his teammates is a waste of everyone's time. It's a good sign that he played on a tender ankle, but how long is his resolve going to last if this keeps up?

On to the good news:

Ruben showed that he's willing to get on the boards and able to get some. I think he can definitely replace Pot's contribution at a tiny fraction of the cost. He's as at least as good a shooter from midrange, has better hands, and might be a tad longer and more athletic (which is like saying he's the taller of two midgets). His low post defense is obviously far behind Pot's, but you can teach that.

Shooooondov can really shoot - Obie wasn't kidding. If he could rebound some and play D, we'd have a real find on our hands. But he's only 22. At the very least, he could be a Pat Garrity/Danny Ferry type for us.

Shammond. This kid is something else! He gets involved, he can shoot and dribble, he's very athletic, feisty, and fearless. Though not a real PG, he can pass some, especially off penetration. If he could play some D...have I said this before?

Delk continues to shoot well, but there's not even a hint of understanding how to play PG from him. Shammond's gotta start and play the majority of minutes at PG. Bremer's more similar to Delk than Shammond.

Walker and Pierce did their usual thing, shooting to their heart's content. Walker's shooting line looks worse than it was; he actually put on some nice moves down low. I think his low post game has improved, he goes to his strong side more and uses fakes effectively. Despite the five assists, he mostly forgot his point forward duties, and seemed to be involved in several one-on-one contests with a few Nets, including Rogers.

Pierce had the same number of assists as Kidd, a testament to how the boxscore can belie one's true impact on the game. Had his way with whoever was covering him. Btw, Lance, was it you holding up a sign that read: "I love you Paul Pierce! Go Celtics!"? :)

EWill/McCarty - the yoozhe.

It's obvious at this point that the Celtics have a much longer way to go than the Nets to integrate the new guys into the team. That's hardly surprising given the experience of Mutombo and Rogers, and the fact that they're replacing the same type of players. Besides, Kidd can make anybody fit in and produce up to his full potential. Whereas the Celtics are trying to fit some new parts into their engine, but the spark's a little retarded and the fuel/air mixture ain't right. Whether they'll catch up this season remains an open question. I certainly hope the Baker era didn't peak in his first game, as was the case with Pitino.
Kestas