free throws

I'm kind of a throwback. I remember as a kid, when my mom introduced me to Boston Celtics Basketball, how Bob Cousy used to emphasize hitting free throws. I would be out in my driveway practicing, and eventually, I was hitting over 90% of my free throws routinely. This continued in games, and to me, a free throw is exactly that--a free shot at the basket that you should consistently hit nearly every time, if you have good habits at the line.

To my mind, anyone in the NBA hitting less than 80% on the line is a liability at the line. The very best in the NBA should be hitting routinely in the high 90% range. I've lambasted Shaq often enough for his incompetence at the line, I can hardly go easy on my favorite team. Pierce especially needs to maintain a consistent shooting form at the line, then he wouldn't be so erratic.

The Celtics can expect to get fouled a lot because they've been inconsistent at the line. If the quality improves, then there'll be fewer fouls because it'll become a low percentage play for the other team.

This is not something that can wait. They need to have the discipline to go to the line and make the free throws like it's part of breathing--or don't they want the easy points Jason Kidd gets because he creates a foul and goes to the line knowing he's going to shoot an uncontested basket?

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle