the next level

OK.  We have had two games now to see what we've got.  On the plus side,
the C's are averaging over 100 ppg, there seems to be more inclination to
have an inside game, and shot selection has improved.  On the other paw,
the defense couldn't stop Fred Hoiberg, the free throws were really, really
bad, and Kedrick Brown seems to have feet transplanted from Bill Walton.

As enjoyable as the first two wins were--and believe me, I enjoyed them as
much as anyone--New York and Chicago do not in any way represent the better
teams in the NBA this year.  Tuesday night, we have a chance to slap around
the New Jersey Nets.

Tough talk about a team that knocked us out of the playoffs?  Yep, but
here's my reasoning.  The playoff series featured a lot of "circus shots"
by Jason Kidd.  He kept penetrating the defense just enough to throw up
wild shots that resulted either in baskets or fouls.  The next factor was
Kenny Anderson--for all everyone complains that he was the best PG we had
in ages, he sure didn't play well against the Nets, and hurt the Celtics in
the series.  Then there were the refs.  That's a whole other post.  The
final part was that the Celtics offense never really got cranked up, or
more simply, if Paul Pierce didn't score, no one on the Celtics did.  The
Nets simply closed Pierce down and dared everyone else to make shots.

This season, we have some things ostensibly in our favor.  First, better
ball distribution.  From what I can tell, the C's are spreading the
scoring--while I grant that Pierce and Walker still shoulder a lot of the
scoring burden, I think it's measurably less than last year.

Second, we can theoretically tell Sundov to make like a wall between Kidd
and the basket.  Sundov is tall enough that he doesn't have to leave his
feet on a fake, thus cutting down Kidd's opportunties at the free throw line.

The Nets plan to use Rodney Rogers as a diversion from Kidd and open the
perimeter with threes.  Our advantage is our guys should know how to beat
Rogers better than anyone, since he recently played for us.  That allows us
to anticipate better.

The Celtics defense has GOT to play keep away from Kidd as much as
possible.  The less he has the ball, the more ineffective the Nets
are.  Don't let him squirm free and catch a pass.  When he does, he
inevitably gets a foul called in his favor.  (Like I said, the refs are a
whole other post)

If we spread the offense, tighten the defense, and keep Kidd to minimal
contact with the ball, we stand a good chance of making the Nets wish
they'd stayed home.

However, the C's have a problem that the Knicks tried to exploit a few days
ago.  Free throws.  We're not hitting anywhere near 50%, as far as I can
tell.  Going one-for-two is considered a positive.  It's real hard to make
fun of Shaquille O'Neal's free throw percentage when ours as a team is
worse!  If the Nets decide to throw bodies at the C's and send people to
the line, a game can be easily lost.

Similarly, the rebounding needs work.  Lots of work.  We got outrebounded
by the Chicago Bulls last night.  That's like getting out pitched by
Charlie Brown.  No longer can we say, "no big guys", not when Sundov made a
rebound without his feet losing contact with the floor.  We need more
rebounding.  It's nice to talk about running more fast breaks, but very
hard to do without the pumpkin in your paws.

The Celtics have four days to get ready for the next game.  Now, as they
expect to lose the services of Kedrick Brown for a stretch of time, they
have to make more adjustments.  Sundov, Shammond and Baker, though nowhere
near as fast as Brown, will all have to provide an inside presence to
offset the obvious play of handing the ball to Pierce or Walker.  I think
the other teams have figured that offensive set by now.  :>)

Time to move to the next level.  No one will be surprised if we make the
playoffs this year.  It's expected.  Now the team has to play like it's
going to win close games and games against lesser teams.  And it has to
step up against teams like New Jersey.

By the way, there's 20 days left to make predictions.  :>)

Onward to #17

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle
Please visit the Celtics Beagle Website at
http://users.mfi.net/fluteaphrael/celticsbeagle/celtics.html