weekend boxscores

Antoine Walker played 96 minutes (48 per game average)
this weekend. Paul Pierce logged 95 minutes.

Obie did a nice job with the others I thought. Those who
played a lot of minutes in the first game got noticeably
fewer minutes in the second game, and vice-versa:

Battie-   43 & 29
Walt-     34 & 16
EWilliams-27 & 40
SWilliams-26 & 39
Vin Baker-15 & 17

The Celtics seemed to get nearly maximum defensive
consistency out of the seven-man rotation.

Coming in, Atlanta had been leading the lead in blocked
shots, but our smartening up Celts somehow out-swatted
them in both games.

We also dominated the offensive boards (31-21)and held
Atlanta to .391 shooting in each game.

Coming in, the Hawks ranked 3rd or 4th in the NBA in FG%
(.462) despite having already completed their West Coast
trip.

Sharif "don't like it" that the Celtics held him to 9-27
shooting (33%) with 10 turnovers. I thought he looked
more nondescript out there than even his weakass numbers
indicate.

Missing shots is one thing, but in terms of skills he
looked like a generic 6-9 forward next to Walker. That
used to not be the case.

Jason Terry was another forgettable guy. Apart from the
shots he clanged (11-32), I barely noticed when he was in
the game.

Coming out of this weekend, Boston now ranks second in
the NBA in steals (Philly leads by a fraction) and 9th in
fewest TO's (Seattle is number one, thanks to Stahbucks
coffee I guess).

The Celtics also have climbed, faster than I thought was
possible, to 12th in defensive FG%. Getting to number one
in the league is the team goal. I doubt this will happen,
but we'll see. Its laudable, Boston's defensive intensity
at times.

The sweep gives Boston (9-4) a chance for a 10-win
November with remaining games at home against 4-win
Chicago and 4-win Toronto (Vince Carter's possible return
game on Friday, if not sooner).

Last year, Boston had a 7-6 November but then made a
breakthrough move before the holidays to get up to 19-11.

This year, the early December schedule has a lot of
entertainment value. We open the month hosting a current
10-3 team in New Orleans, then play the following night
@7th seed Orlando (where T-Mac and Grant Hill seemingly
have usurped any spots for our captains on the Olympic
team), then just two nights later @ Larry Brown's 10-4
Philly. So that's three good reasons for our captains to
open some whupass.

But as noted in a previous post, the 16-game December
schedule is the weakest of the season overall, on paper.
That's when the Celtics and Patriots have to make some
kind of move (sorry, not a big Bruins fan).

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?