Re: [Celtics' Stuff Howdy Pilgrim - NY Post

wants it more.
> The team that fights for loose balls, rips those
rebounds out of the
> sky and if the Celtics have a chance tonight, it will
be because the
> captains look for their teammates, early and often  to
shoulder the
> scoring load, while they are expanding their energy on
defense and
> rebounding.

Its very surprising that the team that won (NJ) acts like
they have the chip on their shoulder. Mainly it is coming
from the coach, Byron Scott, rather than the players.

I don't think its good for the players to be too fired
up. Sadly the Nets players seem pretty calm, as they
ought to be.

If only basketball were more about aggression and run-
through-a-brick-wall-for-me effort, it would be a LOT
more like football.

Ultimately players see the court better IMO when they are
calm, relaxed, have jazz music playing inside their
heads.

"There's nothing to fear but fear itself" applies very
well to basketball I think. The aim for Pierce and Walker
is to stay composed under pressure, not get pumped up
like a middle linebacker each time the Nets hit us with a
solid blow.

The Celtics just need to tell themselves its only a game.
They need to know that when they are calm and in the
flow, they are a 115 point team.

That's when the 3-point shots start dropping like the rim
is 4-feet wide. That's when every players peripheral
court vision is as sharp and clear as it needs to be.

The Celtics are a great comeback and momentum team
because they know that exhuberant self-confidence and
swagger are part of what help turn these snowball moments
into an avalanche.

But again, I have to say it surprises me that the Exit
16W's are behaving like they are the ones with a monkey
on their backs and letting fly with all this stupid
bulletin board material.

The Nets destroyed us twice in the pre-season, with our
starters getting 40 minutes and theirs getting about half
that.

They've now beaten us five straight games, while building
comfortable double digit leads in the first quarter
probably the last six or seven times we've played.

The Nets have gotten us to tighten up under pressure. We
think we're playing hard, but we're playing tight.
They've worn down our confidence and will with all the
constant uphill battles we've faced.

Tonight the coaching aim is to have fun, not get pumped
up. That's why basketball coaches always say "go have fun
out there". That's why Obie and Phil Jackson try to look
calm when things are going bad. Its sets a tone.

I've noticed others doing it, so a long time ago I taught
myself to smile just as I'm releasing a jump shot. Free
throws, I try to make it more discrete. I feel the shot
mechanics are smoother when you do that. In my case,
that's not saying much. But still...

I'd rather see smiles out there tonight, even in the face
of adversity, than see a serious, dark look of
determination.

Note to team: Boston has a pretty safe, 16-banner lead on
these wannabes. Bird was always cocky. Antoine's good and
cocky. Pierce better not get all mopey on us about his
shooting slump and any tougher than expected Nets
defense.

I want Paul Paul smiling from the first to the last three-
point shot he aims at the bottom of the net.

As a kind of corollary to JB's formula above (whoever
works harder), the team that works harder at having fun
and staying composed tonight (no small feat) will more
likely play up to the level they are capable of and that
will satisfy them.

Big game pressure, much less fear of failure, should not
even be a factor, 1/8th into the season. Enjoy the moment
and I expect we'll be fine.

Paul's going to be guarded by an admittedly solid second-
year guy who, with just half Paul's stats (13 ppg and 4
rebounds), everyone seems set on sending to the freaking
Hall of Fame. RJeff's putting up the same numbers he did
in college, and we're acting like we missed out on the
next great superstar. I think he's pretty close to being
what he is.

Meanwhile, the Nets pointguard is at risk of a self-
inflicted case of salmonela poisoning every time he steps
up to the free throw line. I watch with morbid
fascination each time he wipes his ass before each
potentially fatal kiss.

I think its ridiculous to think the Nets are not the
superior team (I fear they are), but to the everlasting
credit of Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce, our captains
would be the last two people standing that you could
convince of that. I think both captains honestly believe
that if they had made it to the Finals last year, they
would have been in a position to win. I appreciate that.

Sadly neither guy is THAT talented at their respective
positions, but none among their NBA peers have attained
their elite NBA level through sheer force of will like
these two continue to do. You can say that about Dave
Cowens and John Havlicek too.

Those are really the only "traditional" virtues
(fearlessness and supreme self-confidence for no readily
obvious reason) that I'd want out of a current Boston
Celtics player. I'm nervous about tonight, but I bet
they're not.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?