Re: [Celtics' Stuff Jimmy Myers is back. "The Bird is the Word."

At 01:27 AM 11/17/02 -0500, JB wrote:
If you like articulate, knowledgeable and enthusiastic; try Jimmy Myers: "Celtics Rewind" show, after the games, on 1510 "The Zone."
Jimmy is certainly all of that. I was pleasantly surprised to find him on that show, since there was some feeling he had finally burned too many bridges last time he was fired and ended up actually leaving town, I believe. He's an interesting person to look at our captains in light of. Jimmy has managed to talk his way out of jobs on a number of stations in the area because of that same articulate passion paired with a fearless and perhaps pigheaded drive to do what he feels is the right thing. Switch basketball skills for articulation and you can see the same sort of tunnel visioned, single minded drive to the point of being counterproductive that has moved our co-captains to shoot us out of some games over their careers here. In all of their cases with the best of intentions, but self-destructive regardless. You have to admire them for stepping forward at the same time you may feel like giving them a good shake at times. I really am glad that Jimmy still has another life here in Boston, and hope that this time it lasts. If so, it may mean he's learned to temper drive with just a bit of discretion and maybe he can pass on a few lessons about that to the captains.

I called tonight to renew old acquaintances and was given free tickets by the producer, before even getting on the air. Now that's friendly!
*sheesh* I used to work in the building next door to them out in Burlington and wave when they drove by in their van and I never got that kind of welcome : ) Congrads, that's nice to hear.

Once I was able to speak to Jimmy, it got even better. I reminded him of a conversation we had at least five years ago, when he was on WEEI, on the left end of the dial, I believe and he went right up on me. He not only remembered it, but gave me the credit for getting Marques Haynes inducted into the hall of Fame, which was the purpose of that call, at the time (Of course, it was Jimmy and the exposure he gave me and the follow up conversations he had with the powerful people that I had no contact with, that might have raised the attention to that great and under appreciated player, as I'd been tooting Haynes' horn for years, with no movement at all). It was great to hear that Jimmy, not only remembered me, but also remembered that the call generated a lot of interest, which in turn, motivated the old timers committee to act.
Yup, and to Jimmy's credit, I can certainly believe that he did remember. That's pretty cool though, JB, having your own place in hoops history.

The other thing we talked about was the ridiculous; Larry Bird vs Dirk Nowitzki debate, that is raging among C's fans. While Cedrick Maxwell ( a little envy Max?) came out for Dirk, Jimmy, said he'd take Larry. We reinforced each other's opinion, by bringing up Bird's will to win, which might only have been exceeded by the "Man" himself, Bill Russell.
My favorite Bird quote will always be his sort of reverse way of saying that - when asked what made him so great, he responded that he hated losing more than he loved winning.

Kim