Re: Marks got points

For those that are really interested in the breakdown of Houstons scoring:

On PP-
3 of 12 & 3 FT's for 10pts.  (2 in the 1st, 3 in the 2nd, 3 in the 3rd, 2 in
the 4th)

On Delk-
4 of 4 & 2 FT's  for 11pts. ((7 in the 1st, 4 in the 4th)

On Eric Williams-
3 of 4 & 1 FT for 7pts (2 in the 1st, 5 in the 3rd)

McCarty-
1 of 2 & 2 FT's for 4 pts (all in the 3rd)

S. Williams-
1-1 for 2 pts (2nd quarter)

*Walker-
2 of 4 & 1 FT for 5 pts (3 in the 1st, 2 in the 3rd)

*Antoine ended up defending Houston four times
  Twice on switches- 1st with Eric and then with Walter
  And twice after Houston beat Delk off the dribble

So, there it is.  I'm sure I've opened myself to criticism from a certain
poster since he never likes to be shown up, but those are the facts and
anyone with the time or the inclination can check them for themselves.  I
suggest you all brace yourselves for the oncoming storm I'm sure this post
will unleash.

Other things about the defense.
It's funny that Delk would come out in the papers complaining about players
helping off their men.  For one thing, that is what this defense is all
about.  At least it was last year.  Bunch the middle, rotate to the open man,
make the other team shoot jumpers, don't give up anything in the paint.
Wasn't that the motto?
  No one benefited from help defense against the Knicks more than Delk did.
Houston was eating him alive.  He wasn't just shooting over him, surprisingly
enough he was getting around him too.

Also, any team that is patient enough can not only get an open three by
swinging the ball to the weak side, they can also go back door very easily by
bringing the ball out along the sideline, waiting for the double team,
letting the weak side corner defender get walked up towards the free throw
line by a second man in the post, and then getting the ball to the middle and
feeding it to the cutting man from the corner.
The defender is left with two options.  Leave a big man all alone in the
paint or leave his man in the corner.  It happened constantly against the
Nets, often against the Bulls and happened again against the Knicks.
This isn't so much poor defense by the players that I can tell, as it is a
gaping hole in the defensive game plan.
I wouldn't doubt that a lot of teams spent time looking at tapes of how the
Nets beat the Celtics defense and they've been ready to take advantage of
what they've learned now that the season has started.