> To the people who look toward last year and say we would have done better
> with Kenny, Vitally, Rogers and Strickland, it isn't the reserves that is
> losing the games. Obie went with the starters for the last 10 minutes of
> the
> first game and they couldn't hold a 10 point lead. Game two again has to be
>
> attributed to poor play by the starters although the reserves stunk even
> more. But it is the style of play that is killing them.

Nah..I couldn't disagree more..

The players create the "style of play". Trying to seperate the two is
ludicrious. Especially with regards to OB..he is a players coach. Soft
players = soft team.

So it is the personel! Perhaps our current crew will "gel" but right now
those players would have certainly help us. Let us briefly examine the "lost"
players..

Kenny Anderson...
Yeah yeah..most people on this list hate him..
But they know in their hearts that he is likely to control the offensive flow
of the game in an acceptable manner. He isn't Jason Kidd, but he is a pure
point guard and had the best +/- ratio on the team last year. Basically he
would just set up more plays, and keep people playing in a controlled manner.

Rodney Rogers..
Sure he is just a "journeyman" according to some folks.. But the guy is very
strong guy. He is hard nosed player. He will fight for rebounds and bully
smaller players to score inside. Also like I said before he is an all around
stud type player that would add toughness and talent to the team. Plus he had
great chemistry with Walker and Pierce.

Vin Baker OTOH is far more one dimensional even if he is statistically
"better." Vin is a nice guy but you can tell he gets "down" and doesn't
always play intense. He loses his confidence.  Rodney doesn't have that
problem.

Erick Strickland:
The toughest of the tough on the Celtics. He is a flat out hard nosed
competitior. Hey I wasn't crazy about his game but WOW could we have used him
last night instead of Bremer. He is big and strong and can guard 2 guards
better then our other points.
Being a tough hard nosed competitior type he would have drawn charges and set
a tone for tough defense. In addition he would have caused numerous fouls
with his fearless charges to the basket.

And before you say...well he just played the starters...and they stunk..
Thats the point of bench they fill and and contribute for your starters if
they are having an off night. They also set a tone and help form the teams
character. They pick up the slack so to speak.

But lets be honest here:
Its NOT OB's fault. Its Gaston's.. Like I said all along he is a cheap
bastard of an owner. We all know that... OB wanted his old team back + a
decent back up point guard + a guy like Keon Clark. Now that would have been
a good team. OB should have quit instead of just cursing at Gaston..

Right now the Celts don't have the same kind of "character" they had last
year..
Lets hope they can get it back. They didn't just lose a few scrubs..the lost
a level headed playmaker and two tough character guys.

Pete