RE: Sorry it has come to this....

-----Original Message-----
From: James A. Hill

I say it's the coach and how he coaches.  The question is why he is coaching
this way and why he doesn't put the guys in position to win by making
adjustments based on what's going on out on the court.

Inquiring minds want to know.

<Jim

I have mentioned ad nauseum how some of us have berated specific players for
following the wishes of the coach.  I really don't understand that logic,
but it is obviously true.

Then there are those who believe that the coach only implores said players
to do things in the hope that they won't run to management and get him
shitcanned.

Either way, the question must be asked: Is the coach utilizing the proper
strategy for this team as currently constructed?

Unlike some of you, I saw a bit of a motion offence run a few times last
night.  Most of it involved running EWill off several high screens who then
got the ball into the hands of Paul or Toine on the baseline.  They worked.
However, there need to be better options for when the D collapses and shuts
off the entry into the lane.  That is where I think Obie feels the three
point shot will be so effective.  And he may be right.  But when the outside
shot is not falling, like last night and previous games from last season,
there needs to be a concentrated effort to move the ball with purpose
instead of being the one who got rid of it.

If he has an offence, it must be tweaked to provide a chance to use our
advantages.  What are they you might ask and probably are at the moment?

1.  Baker and Battie need to play together.  They can exchange spots in the
high and low post but Battie should be in the high post since he can hit
that shot.  Baker can draw alot of fouls on the blocks that way in one on
one coverage.

2.  We have no pattern AT ALL for rebounding.  There should always be a
triangle of C's when the ball goes up both offensively and defensively.
Right now, when the ball is shot, the shooter is falling away as if it were
money in the bank.

3.  We need to start ball hawking in the opposing backcourt when they have
the ball.  Let's start being a pest.  It will create more turnovers and make
their guards work harder to get the ball into the hands of their scorers.

4. We need to BOX OUT on every shot attempt!!!!

5. Obie was right about one thing.  We need to challenge their shots.  Not
try to block each shot since that will lead to a foul shooting parade.
Challenging the shot is simply a hand in the face instead of leaping in the
air like a wild man on an upfake.

But even with these concerns, I feel the team will sort it out.  But it does
not happen overnight.

Cecil