Re: Call the fouls consistently

On Wednesday, May 29, 2002, at 10:00 AM, Kim Malo wrote:

We need to get the Fleece to play "King Tut" or "Walk Like an Egyptian" at him when he walks out on the court.
If they haven't followed up on Jim Meninno's Hironakaesque suggestion of the "K-mart sucks" to dig at Kenyon Martin yet, then there's no hope for them.

Go Cs. I honestly think they'll win tonight, not just hope they will. Just heard Pierce on the radio sounding sincere in saying that he understands he personally was out of control sometimes re: things like dumb fouls and not reacting right to double teams, which was true and is a *VERY* good sign that he realizes it. Unlike Dan, I don't think he chokes (which has always had connotations of quitting), but I do think he lets his emotions get in the way.
Agreed. But for him, it's a double-edged sword: he uses his emotions to spur him on, as well. The trick is to play with emotion, yet under control, getting to that "sweet spot" between the two. Sounds very "Use the Force, my young Padawan learner", but you know... .

I also expect the team to win. It's their own damn fault: they've played so well in the playoffs (well, played successfully, at any rate) and have almost always come out when cornered with renewed ferocity, that I can't help it. I think the coaching staff and players adjust very well to what is commonly termed "adversity" in NBA media-speak, which just means losing games here. They bounce back. They have games that stymie us fans (letting NJ back into it after the big comeback, digging holes then coming back, et al.) but one constant remains: they bounce back. It's only going to take one time where they don't to end the run, but, I cannot help still thinking ... they bounce back.

Go C's.

Bird

P.S. Josh O. is right, I think: Pierce needs to explode quickly to the hoop to put a wrench in the double-teams. Keep them guessing. Is he going to hold on to it or is he already past me? is what they ought to be thinking. And defense, oh my god, it's about the defense -- guard the perimeter shot *and* the paint. Easier said than done, but if they can hold NJ, they don't need to have 60-70 points from Piercewalker and better-than-decent games from the supporting cast in order to win. Oh, and go over and slap Jason Kidd one time when he's blowing kisses (I agree,
he looks like a fancy pants ... not that there's anything wrong with that,
as the saying goes). Wouldn't mind seeing Rodney Rogers or somebody reach over and give him a good whack upside the head just one time. "Whaddaya, some kinda opera diva?" Shoot the ball, for cripe's sake. In ten years guys'll be doing the "macarena" or something before each shot. Stop the madness now.