Re: [Celtics' Stuff Poor coaching again by Obie loses game

Steve,

> To hear some folks tell
> it, Phil Jackson or Pat Riley or Van Gundy or fill in the blank would coach
>
> circles around O'Brien. That logic implies Jackson, Riley, JVG, etc., could
>
> make this same roster a legitimate championship team based upon 'superior'
> coaching.

Those statements aren't logical so therefore I wouldn't try to defend them.
However, I do think we would have had more wins this year under better
coaching. Again, I believe coaching in the pros makes the difference in 10-15
games. Last night was one of those games. According to the papers, Obie again
feels like he has to play Walker practically the whole game. I disagree. I
think getting rebounds and easy baskets through fast breaking are critical to
the team's success and have noticed a startling lack of speed and rebounding
by Walker and Pierce when they play so many minutes. They could get away with
it early in the season when they were fresh but not now when the season has
wore them down. These guys are so critical to the teams success that they
have to have the rest to play up to their top level. ....

But the bottom line, Steve, is that were you satified by last night's game?
Do you think we can win in the playoffs the way we played last night? What I
am hearing you say is that we should be satisfied with where we are at. There
isn't any room for improvement. What I am hearing you say is that with the
offensive scheme we got, the barrage of quick threes by all comers, that
sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and this was just one of those
nights. You see, I totally disagree with that.

This club actually has A CHANCE TO GO THE FINALS. If they would improve upon
those things I had listed, they would bust through all these East teams. This
is a cheap shot but Tommy and Cous don't like this stuff either. It is just
that they are so close to being the best team in the East.  The coach is one
the that establishes the playing time and the players roles. It is then up to
the players to execute according to their roles. Are you telling me that it
is within Erik Williams role to jack up a three in a close game with about 3
minutes left. Are you telling me that it is within Tony Delk's role to run
dribble down the court and pull up for a three with 20 seconds left on the
clock? If Obie doesn't say anything to these guys, I guess it is and I just
need to get over it.

I don't know why you are defending Obie for allowing this, game after game.
You are better than that...

DJessen33