Re: [Celtics' Stuff Poor coaching again by Obie loses game

   This has become a superb thread, running across both boards like a beam
of light.
I just got home from work and read through 54 respectful, intelligent posts,
taking both sides of the issue, which concerned O'Brien and whether he is
responsible for the inconsistent; selfish/unselfish  play.
   My first query, is whether O'Brien ever said he wants his players to take
the first shot that showed? I've never read that. He backs up his players
for taking open threes, but never has said it should be a first option. The
only time I remember him addressing the issue directly, he said he preferred
an inside outside concept, for finding open shots from the perimeter.
   On the floor, Walker takes the ball from Anderson, when the team won't
run, to keep up with Kenny, who wants to push the ball. Lance is correct
about this. Why doesn't he sub for Pierce and Walker for five minutes each
half, so they are fresh down the stretch? Why doesn't he try to integrate
the captains talents with a cutting motion offense? These are concerns and
led me to write a few days ago, that O'Brien, as successful as he has been,
might not be the coach to take this team up to championship contending
status.
   In addition, O'Brien is not as flexible as I'd like to see. He uses a
small lineup at times, with great success. Why doesn't he try a big lineup
at times? What is wrong with a lineup of Walker, Battie and Vitaly/Rogers,
with Pierce and Anderson?
   These questions trouble me, but when all is said and done, I have to say
that O'Brien has gotten more out of the team that I thought he could. I've
posted a poll on the "CelticsStuff" home page as to your vote for coach of
the year. I'm a bit disappointed that more of you haven't voted. I'd like to
know who you think has meant more to their team's success.
   Those that ask for O'Brien to be a taskmaster and sit his stars for lack
of effort, would see this team in shambles. Even Jackson has torn his hair
out, for some of the games the Lakers have mailed in. Could Larry Brown sit
Iverson for choking his offense? Will George Karl last the season in
Milwaukee? Will Pat Riley dissolve in the light of day if he doesn't get
back in his coffin?

        JB

Link to current standings:
http://archive.sportserver.com/newsroom/sports/bkb/1995/nba/nba/stat/2000-01