Re: [Celtics' Stuff Poor coaching again by Obie loses game

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kestas" <Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu>
To: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 2:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Celtics' Stuff Poor coaching again by Obie loses game

> At 14:02 3/23/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >He has given them a licence to gun and they have responded to it by
sitting
> >on the cusp of making the playoffs for the first time in many years.
> >Whether that is the most prudent thing for him to do as coach is open to
> >criticism, but by suggesting that he may not want to get the most out of
> >this current crop of Celtics is inherently unfair IMHO.
>
> Who suggested that? Why would he not WANT to get more out of this cast?

Some listers seem to think
that Obie is getting the max out of this crew. Others may think he's
sabotaging their season.

* Isn't that implying that some do not think he is trying to get the most he
can out of this team?

> >He took over this team amid a rough time and has righted the ship.  He
> >should be congratulated for his work thus far and I think he will get his
> >fair share of support when coach of the year awards are tallied.
>
> I agree with you.
>
> >We all know this team has flaws that need fixing, but I think Obie has
done
> >pretty well overcoming the ghosts of Ricky and getting to play hard.  For
> >the most part, they do it.  And the coach deserves credit for it.  Don't
> >forget that this is his first crack coaching at this level too and he has
> >done as well as could be expected given his player personnel.
>
> No, there's room for improvement. That's all I'm saying.

There is plenty of room for improvement...at the free throw line, with our
interior defense, with our transition offense, with the mental lapses for
minutes at a time, with the lack of  a quality big man.  There is plenty of
room, by everyone concerned with this team, NOT JUST THE COACH as you are
mentioning.

Unless you're
> implying that HE himself is not capable of delivering more, as far as
> coaching the offense is concerned. That I might believe, although I don't
> want to, because he's otherwise a good NBA coach.
> Kestas

I have no idea if he is capable of delivering more as a coach.  Fortunately
for me, it is not my responsibility to select the personnel for the team.
It appears to me that it is you who is implying that he is unwilling to
deliver more on the offensive end.  I have not berated his lack of offensive
game planning.  You are all over him for using the two-man offense and
sticking to it when it has reaped rewards for this team.  It is not my
preferred style and if they had Delk and Rogers at the beginning of the
season, things may have been different.

Can't blame him for riding the horses that he rode in on.  I look forward to
the day that we have a legitimate interior threat, as I feel that will make
an enormous difference in the offense.  Your assertion that a motion offense
designed to get the ball into the hands of the shooters assumes that we have
big men who are capable of catching a simple pass when they receive it and
are good decision makers.  We do not have that luxury and I know you agree
with that.  Several motion offenses which I've employed, and many other
coaches that I know in the past have used as well, are often determined by
the ability of the interior players to move the ball.

I think we are 2 players away from making a legitimate threat and we have
all discussed it before.  And I hope you take this exchange in the spirit
with which I hit the send cuz I respect your opinions and comments.

Cecil