Re: kestas reply

On Monday, June 3, 2002, at 10:16 PM, Kestutis Kveraga wrote: (See full
text below)

They surely can afford to move Kenny, and I would hope they do.  His
value
will never be
any higher than it is now, and I don't believe his role on this team has
been
an overly positive
one.  He played good D, made a few nice passes, brought the ball up under
pressure, and hit
a few shots.  Cook / Delk should be able to do just as much; adn with
all the
money we would
free up, we could sign Strick, Walter, and maybe somebody who "slips
through
the cracks" like
Strickland did.
Mark Berry
  ******************
"We would have to take about the same amount of salary back, unless
Kenny was
traded to a team under the salary cap."
Kestas
***************
Unless we traded him for a pick, no?
Mark
		**********
	Or, both.
	 I first proposed the possibility of trading Anderson, at
"CelticsStuff." (shameless plug) I think someone pulled the concept from
there.
	My  scenario for trading him, was to the Clippers, who are under
the cap, but would also entail us receiving a salary commensurate with
Anderson's.
	The proposal was for Olowakandi, who wants the maximum, or close to
it. My idea and phantasy it may be, was that the Clippers don't want to
get stuck with any long term max contracts, let alone the two or three
that are coming up next season. They have two free agents now: Point
guard, McGinnis (making 650,000, but would want a couple million, at
least) and Olo.
	Since the Clippers are under the cap, the salaries wouldn't have to
match, we would have more flexibility,in signing the players, but
eventually, would have to pay the two players pretty close to what
Vitaly and Kenny would be making here.	 Sterling might like a long
term, mid-sized contract, like Vitaly, Philly's first round pick next
year and Kenny's expiring salary. The Clippers could draft a point guard
this season, let him learn under Kenny and then use Anderson's salary
allocation, for Elton Brand, next sumer. They don't let Olowakandi walk
for nothing, but they don't wind up with too many max  players, for
Sterling's wallet.
	While we might miss Anderson (Mark, I think you way underestimate
his contribution, if you agree with me that the team played better, when
he was allowed to create and often, early in games he would get baskets
for all five starters, instead of Antoine demanding the pass at half
court, but that's an argument for another day), getting a potentially
dominant center  and a scrappy young point guard, without spending a
penny more on salary, would be huge.
	As I said, this is phantasy stuff, but the concept of trading
Anderson, who's expiring salary makes him more valuable, to cheap teams
like the Clippers, or another team that wants to make an offer for
Duncan, or Kidd, or O'Neil, etc., next summer, might be appealing to
some team and we would get to use his money slot, for an impact player,
a season early.
	JB

			Unchain My Heart!

I think the team knows that, and will pay to keep him here.  I still
don't
understand why
we can't offer him a three or four year, heavily back-loaded contract,
that
just pays 1 mil
or so the first year.
--- end of quote ---

**********************
We would have to take about the same amount of salary back, unless Kenny
was
traded to a team under the salary cap.
Kestas
******************
Unless we traded him for a pick, no?
Mark
*************
Insofar as I know, it doesn't make any difference :  if the team you're
trading
with is over the cap (and most are) they can't take back more than
115% + $100K
of the salary they're trading, unless the player they are receiving is a
minimum salary player. Since a draft pick counts for $0 against the cap
until
he's signed, you could trade a non-minimum salary player for a pick only
to a
team under the cap (or get one involved in a multi-way trade).
Kestas