Re: Leo Papile's math?

At 05:25 PM 7/29/02 -0400, James A. Hill wrote:
Just skip the guaranteed contracts and set the cap and the guys that just
coast would be let go.  It would make for a better fan experience and have a
strong influence on off court behavior and conditioning.  Set a cap on
owners profits as well with anything above that going into a fund to train
professional officials.  Make it equal as possible for everybody.
I like the twist with the owners cap funding training of officials. Actually, maybe split it between that and funding for player development in places like the ADSL. It would of course need really good auditors, as it gives the owners even more reason to try to hide profits. As it happens, I'm job hunting and have experience doing internal audit in a prior job : )

I don't see the down side for the guys that bring their A game, no matter
what skill level they have.  Plus what a player does off the court does
effect the entire league and other players financially, both positively and
negatively.
Well, the only downside is someone getting cut for bogus reasons that doesn't get picked up elsewhere because of the cap. It may need some safeguard like contracts being guaranteed for the current year only, after we've passed a certain point into the current season (so that they have some leeway to cut immediately obvious real mistakes signed in the past offseason).

Kim