Re: Over rated!!!!!!!!!!!

At 02:04 PM 7/28/02 -0500, gh18@juno.com wrote:
The point guard position is over rated!  We need a nasty forward/center
who can provide 10 points and 10 rebounds coming off the bench (not named
Vin Baker).
Well yeah, but who's going to get the ball to him without a PG, especially given some of our other players displaying occasional refusal to give it up?
Wondering why you think PG position is overrated?

There are offenses for under privilege point guard teams. Remember the
Spurs won with Avery Johnson, Lakers won with no point guard, and the
Bulls won with no point guard.  Was Dennis Johnson a true point guard?
No!
Well yeah, he was IMO. Not when he came here - he was a classic shooting guard with some nice hops and a bad reputation. But he certainly became the classic distributor, control the pace, set the offense PG on offense and in his prime was considered league best on defense. With a reputation as a clutch, money shooter if not a game long high % guy.

Every great or good coach has the ability to adjust to the talents of his
team.  O'Brien must make the adjustment!
Of course. Look, I'm not advocating any particular moves in case you thought that (I snipped it, but you commented elsewhere about not doing a trade to get a PG). Virtual GM bores me to tears. I'm just interested in people's view because I happen to think it's key, not so much in itself but in getting the best use out of everyone else. Which is really what the PG is all about.

Thanks for playing
Kim